cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox

Jeff613

Dropbox

I have a Waitrose JustMail account and recently received the following email  'from the Dropbox team' :

"We noticed you haven't used your Dropbox account under  xxx@XXXX (a Waitrose JustMail account)in over a year.

Would you like to keep your account?
If so, sign into Dropbox using XXX@xxxx before July 20, 2016

No longer want your account?
We’ll automatically close your account on July 20, 2016. For help with saving your files before your account closes, visit our help center article."

I have no idea what Dropbox is! As far as I am aware I never asked for a Dropbox account!

Is this email genuine?

If my Dropbox account is closed, will my Just Mail email account be affected?

6 REPLIES
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

Re: Dropbox

@Jeff613

Dropbox is a website where you can store files and then load them via either a browser or app to other devices. So a easy way to share files or keep copies offsite.

And it has nothing to do with whether Waitrose JustMail works or not.

It is probably just a scam email so please do not click on the links in email. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

You may wish to edit out the email parts as the links are still coming through with your original address despite the censoring "xxx" parts...

Edit to note that the email's now not showing, so that's sorted, as for the dropbox thing, it could have been signed up for on a mobile phone or tablet that offered a free Dropbox account that was forgotten about, the only way to find out is to go directly to www.dropbox.com and try logging in with your address, if it's genuine, it'll log in (assuming you know the password or can do a "forgotten password" thing), if not, then it's a phishing mail presumably set up to steal passwords to dropbox accounts...

Community Veteran

I often get similar messages.

I put it down to someone using one of my many email addresses to open a *********** account. By accident or on purpose.

Nine times out of ten I will logon to that account either out of curiosity or just to have a malicious interfering laugh as in the case of facebook accounts.

Most such accounts can be ignored but if numerous emails become a problem most will have a close account button.

But as said don't use any links in the email in case it's a spoof. Go to the actual sites to logon or whatever.

Community Veteran

Talking of similar messages.

I just had one from webuyanycar.com, and no apart from the email address it's not mine.

Apparently my valuation for a BMW Z4 is about to run out.

As I said not mine but isn't £1,846 a really rubbish offer?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@billnotben - It's a BMW Z4! So no, they should take it and run. Funny

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

billnotben wrote:

As I said not mine but isn't £1,846 a really rubbish offer?

Given it's probably a phishing scam, I would say the perfectly appropriate figure for a WBAC offer on a BMW is made up... Grin

(After all, WBAC have to make a profit on what they buy in when they come to sell it on at auction, that's why they buy any car, and it's a BMW Z series, why would anyone who isn't a window-licking waterhead want one of those??)