Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drone rescue - a world first

198kHz
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 11

Drone rescue - a world first

We hear a lot about the negative aspects of drone use, but here's a really good use - saving lives!

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/video/2018/jan/18/drone-rescues-swimmers-in-australia-in-...

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Drone rescue - a world first

Before looking at the video, I had visions of a drone dropping a rope and lifting the people to safety, I won't spoil it for others though...Crazy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Not in any way a substitute for someone in a boat grabbing a struggling swimmer as they go under for the last time.

Because of that fact I would imagine the rescue service would be on very rocky ground if there wasn't a happy ending.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

As mentioned drones have had a bad press but like most other things they can be used for good or evil purposes.

Police, mountain rescue teams etc can search vast areas quickly when trying to locate lost or injured people.

Some amazing videos have been taken by people using drones which would have been impossible to get unless you had the money to hire a helicopter.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

billnotben wrote:

Not in any way a substitute for someone in a boat grabbing a struggling swimmer as they go under for the last time.

Because of that fact I would imagine the rescue service would be on very rocky ground if there wasn't a happy ending.

Not sure about that.

If the drone was the first to arrive before the rescue services and it failed to save a life then at least an attempt had been made, better to try and fail than wait for rescuers to arrive who would likely be too late on the scene.

I cannot see any situation in which they would be used as a substitute for the usual service but more as an addition to that service

Community Veteran
Fixes: 5

Of course, they can’t be a medic nor they can be a substitute for a human medic being present.

What they can do is save time so a human is there sooner rather than later, which can mean the difference between a happy or sad ending.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

It's not the first RC aircraft to have a camera onboard transmitting live pictures.

It's not the first RC aircraft to have an autopilot.

It's not the first RC aircraft to drop a payload.

I really fail to see what the fuss is about or WHY it has taken so long to do this - drones and quadcopters have been around for years now but before then we had other RC aircraft that were capable of this. I find it somewhat disappointing that only now those in drone circles are coming up with these ideas when the rest of us in the RC community have been frowned upon for years for having these "mad hat" ideas.

Back in 1996 I was talking of RC helicopters with onboard real time transmission and autopiloting abilities along with long range communications while others were building payload dropping devices to drop sweets for the kids at the local model shows. People used to laugh at me like i was a nutter (but i had others who would silently agree that my ideas had a future ahead). Now we have all these drone "engineers" some 20 years later coming up with the same ideas like its new and taking credit for ideas that have been around for years in "real" RC circles Roll eyes

What I am still waiting for is a drone with onboard infra red that can scour the seas for missing people / bodies in a swarm that can cover vast distances.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 5

Yep , I used to fly Heli's a few years ago. Was never very good at it and is okay if you have the money for the repair bills Cry

My dad used to be into it for a while and it is amazing what they can do now. Problem is when the press are bored and nothing else major is going on in the world, they'll come up with a story so a Freelancer can get their story published. Freelancer gets their money, press gets sales. They're happy.

Yes it can be used for bad things, and for good. Pretty much like any physical object in life IMO.

Thing that annoys me is both parties know nothing about the technology, and probably most people don't either.

You clearly do, and I know only a little bit. Wink