Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drone owners & model aircraft owners URGENT

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 51

Drone owners & model aircraft owners URGENT

Drone owners & model aircraft owners MUST be registered by 23:59 on Friday this week...

Fines of £1,000 possible if found to be flying one and do not have an "Operator i.d"

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/11/drone-user--you-must-register-your-device-and-take-an...

Under new rules which come into effect from Saturday, most people who own or are responsible for a drone or unmanned aircraft must register as an operator, as long as it weighs between 250g and 25kg. It costs £9 to register as an operator and you'll need to do this each year.

7 REPLIES 7
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

Re: Drone owners & model aircraft owners URGENT

Another stealth tax then!

And how does this actually stop somebody flying a drone over an airport again? - It doesn't.

All it does is to punish the innocent for the actions of the few. If the prat who was flying over Gatwick? is reading this, you're a total waste of space and have ruined a once good hobby for everyone else.

Now lets look at this logically. Someones RC plane or drone does something naughty or crashes somewhere. What can the authorities do about it? Almost nothing other than look for finger prints / DNA (which is expensive and not a guaranteed result). Unless the aircraft itself is registered with a visible registration on it, this whole thing is pointless. Even then, people can still fly aircraft and not bother - and who's going to catch or enforce it?

Our overly protective state is getting very good at making up new stupid rules that it cannot provide the resources to enforce. It's all pointless IMO.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Strat
Fixes: 515

It would need every Drone to have something like a MAC burnt into the firmware.

Each Drone sold would need the MAC and address of the purchaser recorded on a database.

Don't know about all those already in circulation.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 90.0.2 (64-bit)

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
7up
Community Veteran

Just looked at the MSE link - what a farce this all is:

screenshot-1029

1) If you're already a hardcore association member this isn't going to affect you anyway - just show your BMFA membership to any imaginary inspection officer who turns up - not that there appears to be a legal requirement to even carry that with you.. - again this is pointless.

2) They've literally just killed the hobby for every youngster because they can't register until they're 18 - yet they can fly with BMFA membership / insurance.. who still won't be able to register them because the CAA say you must be 18 or over. Nice one CAA, you've just driven many youths into depression..

3) There's loads of people out there with non flying (but technically flyable) aircraft sitting in their homes / sheds. I've got 4 of them right here within 5 feet of me. If they think I'm coughing up £9 just because I own them they're very wrong! The largest a Raptor 30 V2 helicopter has no engine, no radio and no gyro - unflyable but it is technically a flyable aircraft. The 2nd is a smaller RC contra rotating helicopter - almost certainly over the 250g limit but with no battery. The other 2 are small quadcopters and with their (depleted and not replaced) batteries might also be over the 250g limit.

I am not paying £9 just because I own them! The state wants to turn me and others into a criminal for simply for owning something that was entirely legal to own, safe, not harming anybody and frequently frowned upon as being for geeks and "sad people" (as many thug type youths see it)..

Oh and having to register as a non flying operator completely contradicts not needing to register if they're flown indoors / in a netted area which requires no registration.

But to be honest, I'll take the MSE interpretation of it all with a pinch of salt. Martin Lewis frequently thinks he's gods gift to advising people and still can't fully comprehend parking regulations etc.

7up
Community Veteran

@Strat wrote:

It would need every Drone to have something like a MAC burnt into the firmware.

Each Drone sold would need the MAC and address of the purchaser recorded on a database.

Don't know about all those already in circulation.

Pointless argument as so many people build their own aircraft from scratch - even drones!

Strat
Fixes: 515

I have a radio controlled Helicopter but I'm not sure how much it weighs.

I don't fly it as I've lost the crystal for it but as it's in my possession, maybe I need to register 🙄

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 90.0.2 (64-bit)

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
7up
Community Veteran

Already MSE has failed to explain things properly..

screenshot-1030

Oh and on that point, if you let another flyer fly your aircraft at the local flying site you and they will be in breach of this rule. So much for trainers teaching people to fly..

Easy answer is to have interchangeble IDs stuck on with velcro..

7up
Community Veteran

@Strat wrote:

I have a radio controlled Helicopter but I'm not sure how much it weighs.

I don't fly it as I've lost the crystal for it but as it's in my possession, maybe I need to register 🙄

Going by the wording you're "responsible" for it so you may well have to or you'll be a criminal and face a £1000 fine!

Must admit I feel very uneasy about the way this has all been worded. Should I be trying to hide my never flown raptor in the loft so the police can't see it on the rare occasion they come here?

Maybe we'll end up having a amnesty where they can all be dumped outside the local nick anonymously no questions asked?!