Driving

Hi All
How Fast Do You Drive?
I don't drive.
65 REPLIES
gswindale
Grafter

Re: Driving

Well, I try to drive at the speed limit when it is appropriate, but if conditions are against me, then obviously I slow down to an appropriate speed.
Community Veteran

I drive to he conditions of the road, the ability of the vehicle and normally within the speed limit for the vehicle I am driving. In recent years I have noticed that I stray over the speed limit more times that I would like due to the poor signage of the actual limit. This poor signage as also lead me to doing 30mph in a 60mph limit!
Denzil
Grafter

I have an infallible method for avoiding being caught by speed cameras. Don't break the speed limits Smiley
I think it is rather sad that, for so many people, normal risk perception disappears when they get into a car. I have worked with people who will pounce on minor safety issues at work, but are happy to tailgate other cars at 90mph on a motorway.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Denzil
I have an infallible method for avoiding being caught by speed cameras. Don't break the speed limits Smiley

I agree but as I said in my earlier post, the signage these days leaves a lot to be desired so making it easier to be caught out.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Actually, although I put "always faster than speed limit"
I really mean,
Motorways - 85-95 mph (if possible)
Everywhere else - at or slightly below speed limit.
Country lanes - could be a lot less than 60mph!!
Famous last words
I have never received a speeding ticket.

mcgurka
Grafter

Well, im slightly above the limit, but on only M-ways... the 70 limit was introduced a while ago, and since then steering, and braking performance has increased dramatically, so its as safe to drive at 80-90 as it is 70!
Community Veteran

There I would have to disagree. Although some vehicles may be driven safely at those speeds, other could not. I do wonder what the current average speed is on the motorway network?
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: mcgurka
Well, im slightly above the limit, but on only M-ways... the 70 limit was introduced a while ago, and since then steering, and braking performance has increased dramatically, so its as safe to drive at 80-90 as it is 70!

OK, cars have got better over the years, but drivers haven't. Human beings still have the same reaction times, ability to judge distance etc as they did ten, a hundred or a thousand years ago.
pcoventry
Grafter

It's because cars have got faster that people speed now just because they can.
I used to be a courier -  Doing just over 3000 miles a week. I never ever went above 65 on the motorways - ever. Your vehicle will thank you for it - and you'll have a much better journey.
I used to have to deal with other drivers upto Scotch corner and then the traffic died down . Coming back i was lucky if i saw 2 cars the whole 235M return trip... ( it was overnight)
I don't have a car now i have a motorbike, but i often get the tram or even walk to work it's only 20 minutes.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I used to do long stretches of the M25 where the traffic travels at zero-50mph in the rush hour(on a good day). I got much better petrol consumption than at 80/90 mph.

pcoventry
Grafter

The van i had was LPG - did scotland and back 6 times on it's 550 litre fuel tank. it was a monster . Used to sleep in it so had an LPG generator and night heater aswell.
It was a sprinter but half fitted out as a camper - so used to go upto scotland and across Europe in it working.
mcgurka
Grafter

ok, yes humans are the same, but you can compensate in newer cars for the decreased times with higher speed, by the enhanced perfomance in braking!
Im not saying it should be used as an excuse to speed though!
Fixes: 47

Quite a few people I know claim never to exceed the speed limit.
I would stake quite a lot of money that if their car had speed monitoring GPS equipment fitted for a year it would show at least one speed excess.
It is so easy to get carried along with a stream of traffic doing 32-34 in a 30 zone.
In 30 years of driving I've had 2 speeding tickets.
Both within the last 3 years and both from speed guns of some sort.
Edit: Voted slightly above the speed limit but not all the time naturally.....not in today's traffic Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
gswindale
Grafter

I've found in the past that with the GPS running, I appear to be going slower than the speedo suggest (63mph on GPS 70mph on Speedo).  This makes me think that more people think they are speeding than actually are, as I would expect on the GPS to give a more accurate indication of your speed.