cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving test shake-up on the cards

Fixes: 125

Driving test shake-up on the cards

Possibly out goes the 'three-point-turn' and reversing round a corner but in comes following directions from a Sat-Nav.
[quote=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2853246/Is-end-road-three-point-turn-Shake-driving-test-complex-manoeuvres-axed.html]The tricky three-point-turn - officially known as 'turn in the road' - could be scrapped altogether and replaced by parking manoeuvres, say officials.
Around 1,000 learner drivers across the UK will be asked to take part in a trial of the proposed new new practical exam measures designed to 'better reflect real-life driving', says the Government's Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).

A Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) spokesman said: 'We are carrying out initial research to explore how the driving test could better reflect real-life driving. Any future changes to the test would be subject to full public consultation.'

I wonder what will happen with people who use their own car for the test but don't own a Sat-Nav?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

32 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Driving test shake-up on the cards

most 'real life driving' is contrary to the highway code. For example driving into a side road and reversing out to turn round
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

You're not  taught to drive, but to pass your test..
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

How true that is. A pass doesn't make you a good driver, just one who can follow instructions.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

No 3 point turn?   what happens if you go down a road, and find it blocked by a huge hgv coming the other way?  if learner drivers cannot "turn in the road" ( because they have not been taught how to)... nor "reverse round a corner".... how will they cope reversing the car for ( say ) 100 yards  ? ? ? ?  
I agree with both previous posters ...  & Hairy Biker.... who beat my post ! ! ! ..
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: shutter
what happens if you go down a road, and find it blocked by a huge hgv coming the other way?

You sit there blocking his way 'til he gives in... Grin
Community Veteran

I must admit when my wife was taking driving lessons, and I asked her to do a 3pt she said "it's not called a 3pt but a turn in the road" well F me, when I passed my test you had to do a real 3pt, not touching the kerbs. But I will admit more parking will be beneficial, as most people seem to think it is ok to take up 2 spaces, or park over the lines reducing the space in the other space. (If that makes sense).
Sat Nav directions, WTF I rarely follow the instructions, common sense should prevail over a sat nav. Note all the roads with signs on them saying "Ignore the sat nav don't do this way".
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
how will they cope reversing the car for ( say ) 100 yards  ? ? ? ?  

I come across this on too many occasions, on a road that have passing places the other driver will not reverse 50 yards so I have to reverse 150 yards  Angry
Community Veteran

Quote from: DaveyH
You're not  taught to drive, but to pass your test..

Very true but I do think the 3 point turn should stay along with reversing round a corner. IMO these are part of every day driving and the moment we lower our standards, all hell will break loose.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I really can't remember the last time I reversed round a corner. (on a street not in a car park)
More parking, less sat nav, more highway code use would all be beneficial.
kmilburn
Grafter

I think it might be OK to include satnav usage,  but only with a satnav which has intentional errors to weed out those people who blindly follow the satnav instructions rather than the road signs infront of them!
Community Veteran

Frankly I don't think sat nav should be part of the test. Lets face it, everyone can click the "Navigate to" icon, enter the post code and the street number and then follow the "In 100 yards, turn left" instructions. It's not rocket science is it.
The driving test should be about someones ability to drive not their ability to fiddle with the accessories. Next thing you know they'll test you on changing radio stations on the stereo - what purpose would that serve?  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
Next thing you know they'll test you on changing radio stations on the stereo

I think they should try for the more skilful things like lighting a fag while steering with your knees.
Or make three point turns more difficult. One hand and against the clock. Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Texting whilst driving near schools would be useful too ....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

They say many experienced drivers couldn't pass the driving test. Maybe there's something wrong with the test?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.