cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving test and partners...

Fixes: 123

Driving test and partners...

My wife's test is on Thursday morning and I have been giving her intensive lessons she she failed two weeks ago.
She has now asked me to accompany her in the car during the test. I don't particularly think this is a good idea as it could be a further distraction for her.
Has anyone else been in the car with their partner during a test? If so, how did it work out?
P.S. Any answers won't change my mind.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

32 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Driving test and partners...

is that even allowed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Pretty sure its not allowed.
When I took my PCV test, my instructor was not allowed on the coach during the test.
Good luck Mrs Mav....
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.

Surprisingly, yes.
[quote=https://www.gov.uk/practical-driving-test-for-cars/what-happens-during-the-test]Taking someone with you  Your examiner will ask if you want your instructor, or another person, to:      sit in the back of your car during your driving test    be with you after the test for the result and feedback  This person will usually be your driving instructor, but it could also be a relative or friend.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Oh!!
I wonder how often it happens. And whether examiners are happy with it.
I remember about half-way through my successful car test (2nd time) we had a traffic emergency en-route with an unscheduled emergency stop. My examiner told me afterwards he passed me at that point, certainly he closed his file and just seemed to sit back and enjoy the ride. No further emergency stops or reverse manoeuvres, getting out of the traffic problem had involved quite a lot of reversing in a tight space.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.

I can't see that examiners wouldn't be happy with it. I bet they'd prefer it than having a supervisor in the back.
The examiner’s supervisor
The examiner’s supervisor may come along as well. They will be watching the examiner’s performance, not yours. The supervisor won’t have any say in how you’re tested or in your result.

If you made a real emergency stop under duress of the test conditions with everything going quite smoothly up to that point I can understand why he would pass you Smiley

kdoug007
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
My wife's test is on Thursday morning and I have been giving her intensive lessons she she failed two weeks ago.
She has now asked me to accompany her in the car during the test. I don't particularly think this is a good idea as it could be a further distraction for her.
Has anyone else been in the car with their partner during a test? If so, how did it work out?
P.S. Any answers won't change my mind.

can I  accompany her in the back seat!!!!!! Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Oldjim
is that even allowed

Yes! There are no restrictions on passengers and you have to get used to driving with / without people anyway so the DSA are more than happy with you to drive in realistic conditions. Likewise you can also use the stereo as you wish.
On my first test I took my instructor with me as I was terrified. I look back now and laugh but it was scary at the time. I failed and it gave my instructor a good idea of how I performed under pressure etc. We did some more lessons and he refused to go with me the second time saying it would make me too nervous. He did however recommend I take a CD with music to distract me from the pressure and calm me down. Naturally I took along a CD full of club anthems  Cheesy My instructor also told me to tell the examiner what I was doing so that if he didn't see me do a blind spot check for instance, he would know i had done so because I'd told him "blind spot is clear, I'm changing lane, gear, etc" which would also distract me from feeling nervous. Now at the start of the test I tongue in cheek said (and I got this from someone else lol) that if I failed I'd be back with more club anthems..
Not sure what, but something worked a treat! Not only did the examiner utterly hate my music, he also hated me continuously talking and ended up pleading with me to stop and turn the music down lol. In the end we just ended up driving round with him staring out the window watching the world go by telling me about his career etc  Shocked I did get a few minor points but there were a few things I also didn't get scored on too  Wink We got back to the test centre and he couldn't wait to tell me I'd passed and get out of the car lol - commenting to my instructor that I hadn't shut up for at least 1/2 the test  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

i had a smashing driving instructor, a brutal scot who wouldn't let me get away with anything.  then i had a smashing examiner and passed.  after that my instructor told me to go away and learn to drive.  some years down the line, i understood what he meant.

I fully understand and agree with that sentiment, artificer.
I had some terrible instructors back in 1979 and failed my first test early 1980. Ten years later when I had some spare cash I took up lessons using an instructor recommended by a close friend. After just a few more (7 or 8 ) lessons I passed.
SWMBO is now stressing about the test. She doesn't want to fail again understandably but is sitting in the conservatory reading more about how to do this and that (and who know, maybe the other Wink)
I keep telling her she is more than capable of passing but she made a few silly errors while out today and it has upset her. She knows the errors and has learnt from them. I try telling her that even the most experienced of drivers make errors but it's how you deal with them safely that is important.
@sprite A great anecdote with some excellent advice.

Community Veteran

Gawd! I'm feeling really old now.  Cheesy
This year was the 50th anniversary of passing my test for two wheels and next year will be my 50th anniversary for 4 wheels!
I really can't remember either test at all.
I did take over teaching 3 of my kids to drive after they failed following driving lessons. They each passed first time after that!  Shocked
But, I had no intention of being in the car whilst they were tested. There's enough 'pressure'!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artificer
who wouldn't let me get away with anything.

Lol like mine. Great bloke but he wasn't afraid to shout about things like dry steering lol.
Quote from: artificer
i understood what he meant.

Yeah me too. You don't realise what people mean when you hear them say "they teach you to pass the test". Few months / years down the line you realise what they really mean - get your manouveres done the quickest and easiest way possible lol.
@Mav: You might find it a good idea to insure your missus and take her out on L plates without an instructor for a bit just so that she can get the feel of driving for herself and build her confidence up. I would have done that with mine but I didn't have the legally required 3 years on my licence at the time. It does however give the learning driver a lot more confidence if they get some extra experience (and when there isn't an instructor to pay, its a lot less pressure). My missus failed her first two tests and after both she insisted she wasn't doing it again. I refused to take no and told her if she cancelled the instructor I would re-book him within seconds so she had no choice. She passed on the 3rd time. Key thing is to force them to try again. Ironically when you think you're going to fail again you're calmer about it and I think that makes a huge difference in a strange way.

@Sprite
Since she failed her second two weeks ago I've been taking her out in my car every day having booked the next test almost immediately.
I was never happy with what she used to tell me about her instructor (remember the indicating thread) and even the examiner apparently passed a comment!
She will take the test in my car (am I mad to let her take a test in my car that's less than a year old Cheesy). We've fitted extra mirrors on the wing mirrors as well as the obligatory inside mirror for the examiner. She actually handles my car very well although my petrol consumption has gone down from around 36 to 25mpg  Sad

Community Veteran

New cars can actually add pressure BUT if she's used to the car it may be a good thing.
When I was learning I was with the AA and my instructor had a brand new Focus 1.6 with the new car smell etc. Lovely car but I was scared ****less of the thing. Not only did I see it as the ultimate killing machine / licence looser, I was also scared of breaking it too.
When I passed my test, we had a 1.6 megane that was 10 years old and bought for banger money. I loved it! It felt more 'run-in' and not as powerful as the focus (despite also being a 1.6). The lack of power meant I wasn't as scared to put my foot down for pulling out etc. The clutch was also a bit more worn so it felt more natural than the focus. Plus because it was a cheaper car, I didn't worry as much about breaking it (ok I still worried but if I did it was only a few hundred instead of several thousand!).
Those were the days lol. I did love that car.. head gasket failed twice, exhaust was always threatening to drop off, engine mounts were made of chocolate and the tracking was out by a mile but I did love that car.

I must admit I was a little apprehensive when I first got in with SWMBO. But I got her leaner insurance sorted so at least any prangs wouldn't be on mine and my NCD wouldn't be affected.
A few times she's asked me to show her how certain manoeuvres are done. She says I make it look so easy - after all the years it just seems easy. But watching her has certainly helped me to see some of my bad habits and I've actually re-educated myself and I think it's making me a better driver, too.
Not sure I'll give her free run of the car when she passes - like to keep my eye on it if you know what I mean Wink