cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving on cooking oil

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Driving on cooking oil

I've recently been mulling over the idea of a diesel powered project. I won't go into details on that at this stage but it got me thinking about cheap fuel. So, thinking I should at least to some research, I figured I'd find out more about using this stuff.
Apparently used chip shop oil isn't great because it often contains other things such as water (from potatoes), animal fats (sausage, chicken etc) which have been replaced in the meat by the cooking oil and therefore the oil will turn into a solid when cooled. Clearly thats not ideal for driving if you have a tank full of solid lard.
Now apparently you can just buy normal stuff from the supermarket and stuff it in the tank as long as you pay her majesty her tax on it. Fair enough! So off I go to look at the supermarket prices. I've only looked at Sainsburys and Tescos so far but this is what I found:
This is all sainsburys had listed on their site:

This is Tescos - more products but almost matching prices:

There were more on the Tescos site but I couldn't get them all in that screen grab.
So, with 1L of oil costing £1.50 (roughly the same as diesel last time I looked) and then tax on top of that, how do people claim to be saving money burning this stuff?  Huh Or was it more a case of they used to but no longer do?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
16 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Driving on cooking oil

If you use chip shop oil or New oil from say Sainsbury's There is No TAX to Pay
Community Veteran

Yes there is because you're using it as a fuel and thus you have to pay fuel duty on it to HMRC.
Thats why I am asking..
Fixes: 105

Only if you're using or producing large amounts
However, since July 2007 if you are using/producing less than 2500 litres per year of SVO which is not duty paid then you are not required to pay duty on this fuel.

So that's about 48 litres a week.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Cooking oil £16 for 20 litres, unused. So filter after use, clean and use in vehicle.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Tractor ('red') diesel is 68p / litre,  without the worry of it being contaminated.
Fixes: 47

"You've put on some weight these days Strat"
"Yeah...it's all this fried food I'm eating"

I heard of people who have deals with their local chippy for their waste oil.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I thought you were putting on weight so that you could audition for the "Go Compare !" adverts again !  Cheesy
Community Veteran

I save all my old cooking oil and when I have around 15 litres, I drop a guy an email (I found him after offering the used oil on Freegle) and he's over to pick it up within a couple of hours.
He's not paid for diesel for his old van for around two years now Smiley
Community Veteran

If you could get your engine (whatever it is) to run on Kerosene, that is only 57p / litre.
Community Veteran

I thought kerosine was turbine fuel?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Kerosene is american for Parafin.... !  Roll eyes
Gas oil is american for Diesel ! ...
as for Cooking Oil.... not for me and my skoda.... !... wondering about the consistency/viscosity of cooking oil against that of "regular" diesel, as issued by the government through service stations around the country.... My thinking is ... that cooking oil, is twice as "thick" as diesel... so you would need to have your injectors, and the injector pump modified, I suspect, to be able to deliver the correct quantity on  each stroke....
Of course, I am only a simple Pirate, and I don`t really know a lot about these things...  Cheesy
Community Veteran

I use Kerosene for domestic heating oil
Fixes: 47

Kerosene is jet fuel Shocked Cool
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Wikipedia - Kerosene
In the United Kingdom and Ireland, kerosene is often used as a heating fuel in areas not connected to a gas pipeline network. It is used less for cooking where LPG is preferred owing to its (LPG's) easier lighting. Kerosene is still often the fuel of choice for range cookers such as Rayburn.

In Europe following the Second World War, automobiles were modified to run on kerosene rather than gasoline, which would have to be imported and was heavily taxed. Besides additional piping and the switch between fuels, the head gasket was replaced by a much thicker one to diminish the compression ratio (making the engine less powerful and less efficient, but able to run on kerosene).