cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving licence

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Driving licence

I passed my car test in 1980, and my automatic bus test in 2002. Both dates accurate on the paper licence.
In 2014 I got an automatic upgrade (to bring us in line with Europe)  on my bus licence  on my bus licence to permit me to drive manual buses.
I went for an interview today and they asked for details of when I passed my bus test, so I looked on my plastic licence. That shows I passed the test on 2014 (when I got the upgrade). I now have no accurate record on my licence that shows how long I have been driving buses.
As luck would have it, I photocopied my plastic before I sent it off for the upgrade, and am contacting DVLA by post tomorrow. Recorded delivery, and photocopied too. Sad
25 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Driving licence

I keep copies of everything - including my two paper counterparts (which they've said to destroy). I don't trust DVLA not to screw something up and last time they sent me my licence all the categories had been screwed with. Technically they were correct but they'd done something strange which made it look all different. I was lucky that i'd got a copy of the old one to look at.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

The new plastic licence doesn't show the actual date but a 'before' date. I came across this when a new insurer asked when I got my licence. When I couldn't find a date I spoke to the insurer who said they were aware of the info on the new licences and the 'before' date was all that was required. I didn't need to keep paperwork going back years that I would never need to use.
Community Veteran

Keep paperwork? don't swear!
I scan all mine in and then chuck it in a box never to be seen again*  Cheesy I can find any document within seconds on the computer and have a copy printed as quick as the laser printer can heat up.
*Unless required for some legal issue
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Sorry Artmo, you've been told wrong.
Check here.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/changes-to-the-driving-licence-and-categories
And here's a photo. It is actually printed on the licence as valid from..
Fixes: 125

The day and date I passed my driving test is engraved on my memory - few things make me jump up and down with excitement... but that did Grin Cool

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Heh same here Mav.. I couldn't believe I'd actually passed!
Got home, car was waiting on the drive ready... and we were skint! No insurance... no drivey. Then I remembered that Norwich Union were offering 7 days FREE insurance to all cars bought via ebay (which ours had been)... rung them up, explained it had been sat there for the last month since purchase, they took the ebay number and insured it - free for 7 days! We cautiously went off in the car which was just above the red line, spent our last fiver on a bit more petrol to ensure we could get back home (neither of us knew how long it would last) and we went down the road to the roundabout, turned around and came back home again lol. We had no more money and I'd told the missus I'd take her to work and pick her up so we had to save the juice! Heh.. she didn't tell me and I didn't tell her but we were both petrified of me driving without an instructor for the first few days  Grin

Two days after passing I got my first car and did exactly the same as my dad did 26 years before when he passed his test; drove into the centre of London.. on my own... Loved it... wouldn't do it now, though.
Two days later I drove down to Southampton to see the girlfriend... was too scared to go over 50mph  Tongue

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

Heh.. I remember the first time my driving instructor took me on a dual carriageway with no notice. We were going round this bend and he tells me to speed up and then skip the next gear and to go straight into the one above it. I was like "Eh? why?" he says "We're about to go onto a dual carriage way with traffic moving at 70mph"  Shocked The fastest I'd ever done was 30... you have no idea how terrified i was at that point lol.
I look back now and laugh... but at the time it was seriously scary.

Yeah, that road coming at you so fast... I remember my first dual carriageway near Bexley in London... scary!

nadger
Rising Star

The main thing I remember about my driving test was one of the horses dieing  Cry
Fixes: 47

People have suggested my original licence was written on parchment with a quill pen Angry
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: doris
Sorry Artmo, you've been told wrong.
Check here.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/changes-to-the-driving-licence-and-categories
And here's a photo. It is actually printed on the licence as valid from..

I don't think I am. My licence clearly shows <13.05.75 for all vehicles in column 10.  I think this is the case for many older drivers and this was confirmed by Direct Line. The licence you show is for a younger driver so this may be why a date is actually shown.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Other than class AM and A all the others in Column 10 are <25.02.76
Community Veteran

Funny thing is that the date has no relevance as far as I can work out Wink