Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving licence renewal (2)

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

Driving licence renewal (2)

Similar topic but in my case I have to complete a very detailed form when applying to renew my driving licence every 3 years as I have glaucoma, this means I am required to visit a optician from a selected list provided by the DVLA.

Not sure how this is going to work out with all the COVID restrictions plus work at the DVLA behind schedule.

Has anyone else on the forum who needs specific tests had any problems in renewing their licence ?

We are born into history and history is born into us.
10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 179

Re: Driving licence renewal (2)

@gleneagles 

Medical appointments are allowed and happening at the present time. I am booked in for a regular check up appointment with my optician next week.

PowerLee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Not yet - mines medical restricted to 3 years & not due until November.

DVLA send me for there specific eye test at Specsavers.

Last time I renewed it there was a lot less form filling in then previously.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Not driving licence connected but might help a little.

Had a letter through from the opticians a couple of weeks or more back inviting me in for my two yearly eye test (has it been that long?) but I chose to disregard it as I did not fancy going out anywhere with Covid around when it was not 100% necessary.

Another one through yesterday only this time they were offering me a home visit. I'll still disregard it though as I have no real issues with my eyes but in your situation @gleneagles it might that be an option.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
gleneagles
Community Veteran

@Minivanman 

The choice of having the test at home is a non starter....

I guess a home visit is a chart on the wall plus an examination of your eyes but included in my test is the angle of vision and the machine they use is fairly big, oddly enough no problem with the chart test 6/6 in one eye the other 5/6 with glasses and the last angle test was well within the accepted range.

Several friends did suggest I was unwise to declare I had glaucoma on the application form but if my sight ever got to the point where I failed the test it would rather give up driving than be involved in a accident which would not be covered by insurance due to failing to declare a medical problem.

gleneagles
Community Veteran

@PowerLee wrote:
Not yet - mines medical restricted to 3 years & not due until November.

DVLA send me for there specific eye test at Specsavers.

Last time I renewed it there was a lot less form filling in then previously.

Also sent me to Specsavers, we have 2 branches in the local town but they were not on the list, nearest was 12 miles away but would not use them again so next time it will be a different branch on the list 17 miles away.

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 179

@gleneagles 

Why not bite the bullet and go to the opticians? I'm sure that they will do everything to keep you dafe, at least mine does. If you read the small print you should find that as long as you have submitted an application for a new licence you are in the clear regardless of how long it takes to process your application (or whether it is finally accepted or rejected).

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Baldrick1 

".....read the small print" and "...in the clear"

Not intentional maybe but it did make me chuckle. 😆

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 45

When my D/L expired  ( age 70 ) I had to complete a new application form... carefully answered all the questions..  ( or so I thought )... sent it off..... a week later I got it back... with a note...

Please complete the form..... in particular question 8....(not sure if that`s the right number....but still ... something like this......

Q8.  Do you wear glasses         Yes    [  ]      No  [  ]

Can you read a number plate from a distance of 25 feet ( or yards  can`t remember which )  Yes   [   ]    No   [    ]

oops.... didn`t see that question ! ! ! !     Embarrassed   Cheesy   Cool_smiley

gleneagles
Community Veteran

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@gleneagles 

Why not bite the bullet and go to the opticians? I'm sure that they will do everything to keep you dafe, at least mine does. If you read the small print you should find that as long as you have submitted an application for a new licence you are in the clear regardless of how long it takes to process your application (or whether it is finally accepted or rejected).

Following referral from the opticians to the GP and then seen by a hospital consultant I get appointments every 6 months for a eye test, despite sending a copy of the latest tests to the DVLA they still insist I attend one of their approved centres for the test, so in that 6 month period when apply for a licence this means I have 3 eye tests.....not that I am complaining I cannot imagine what it must be like to lose your sight.

There is also a time limit, you are reminded to have the test in the first 2 months with the DVLA in possession of the results otherwise you will be banned from driving.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

At least you are wise enough to realise that if you cannot see you should not drive.

Two year back my brother in law got behind the wheel for a round trip from Cosne to Auxerre in France. I was in the front passenger seat... and he was all over the road and kept drifting towards the centre. Not only that but he seemed unable to read the roads signs. It was a nightmare journey during which I happened to mention as aside to my sister sat in the back with the Mrs that his driving was not exactly 'up to scratch' shall we say. "Ah" she said, "that's because he's losing his sight and at the moment only has peripheral vision in one of them" 

That explained the middle of the road driving, why he could not read the road signs, why he was driving so slow, why cars were driving up his backside unnoticed by him, and why he refused to use the sat nav.

In all my long years it must have been one of the worst car journeys ever - and that includes being in one with him forty years ago when he was driving three sheets to the wind. 

Never imagined that all these years later that I'd be the one I'd be feeling similarly [-Censored-].

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.