cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving in the fog.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Driving in the fog.

En-route, this morning, to pick up the collegiate wannabes I was shocked at how many people were driving in patchy fog without adequate lights showing.  This not just motorised traffic, but most shocking of all, cyclists!
Why do cyclist insist on relying solely on those stupid single cell LEDs?  I'm sure they look really bright,blinding even,in the cupboard under the stairs,in pitch black and at arms length. But in the half light of morning ,when I drive down a country lane and coke across one I can't see it until I am only a few yards away.
Any cyclists want to answer please?
43 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Driving in the fog.

Morning school run in foggy conditions: I have to say the worst offenders are mum's with their off-spring on the way to school, who either drive on very dim side-lights or no lights at all. "I can see where I'm going" they will say if their lack of lighting is pointed out, and by and large ignore that its so you can be seen by other road users.
DB you should keep an eye of this forum around this time of year in the fog season, its debated annually here, sadly it makes very little difference.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Urgh.. this really annoys me. Fog and no-one uses their foglights as if they're some sort of evil no fog and everyone has them on "coz it makes me car look good init"
Morons, all of them. You'd think they would learn after the reent sheppey crossing bridge incident where ITV/BBC upped the 130 vehicles to 200 but no, nobody takes the slightest bit of notice and they carry on being idiots with the lighting...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Its the others that run with fog lights ON all the time that bother me, blinding in the dark  Crazy
But cyclists well they are a law unto them selves. Lights/no lights, wrong way up a one way street, on the pavement, through red lights etc, etc, etc.  Angry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Cyclists have a regular spot in this forum, mostly none or little the comment very favourable to cyclists, but though there's a serious tendency to tar them all with the same brush. Some are responsible and law abiding.
Unfortunately they are in the minority these days. From the very young trainee yobs on un-braked BMX bikes that shouldn't be on the road riding usually in the middle of the road in complete disregard of following traffic to £1000's of top of the range road racing machines who have no other interest other than treating all roads as a time trial with motorised traffic a hazard to be ignored.
They have one thing in common though, in the event of an accident or right-of-way dispute, its everybody else's fault but theirs.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I guess it depends where you are. I was in Peterborough yesterday and most of the (many) cyclists we saw (of all ages) were behaving perfectly sensibly.
Apart from one (middle-aged female) who came up behind us - we were pushing a wheelchair slowly along a tarmac path, slightly uphill so two of us were pushing. The cyclist rang her bell repeatedly and furiously to demand we move aside to let her past. No "excuse me" or polite conversation just ringing and muttering.
There were huge wide firm grass verges both sides and every other cyclist who we met merely looped onto them for a metre or two, usually with a smile or hello - as I pointed out to her as she muttered away while passing. I think she was from the "cyclists are superior to everyone" fraternity.  Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Quote from: Petlew
They have one thing in common though, in the event of an accident or right-of-way dispute, its everybody else's fault but theirs.
I would change that slightly
They have one thing in common though, in the event of an accident the cyclist always loses out to the vehicle
One thing I have noticed is the increasing habit of cyclists having a bright flashing LED on the back which I think is a great idea
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
the cyclist always loses out to the vehicle

Not true. I have very definitely lost to a cyclist who rode ("cycling furiously" is still an offence I believe) into my stationary car causing quite a lot of damage - only to the car!
Rider was about 6'5" and 18st on a very solid mountain bike, heads down and not looking, riding on a pavement.
Community Veteran

So what were you doing parking on the pavement
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

One thing I have noticed is the increasing habit of cyclists having a bright flashing LED on the back which I think is a great idea

I'm not sure if the flashing LED lights are actually legal (they never used to be) but I think they're so much more effective for making a cyclist visible that they should be both legal and encouraged.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Could have beena grass verge OJ - plenty round my way. There is no restriction for parking on these unless there is a no kerb/verge parking sign in force.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I wasn't and what made you assume I was?  Huh I was on a driveway, he wasn't looking where he was going or where the path went.
Community Veteran

*[stirring mode]
So you pulled out in front of him on a driveway
Roll eyes Roll eyes
*[/stirring mode]
One good thing about it - you stopped him wiping up a pedestrian  Undecided
Did you sue him for the damage
Community Veteran

I was driving in patchy fog a few weeks ago and was behind a motorist who turned his/her lights on and off as they drove in and out of the fog. Maybe they thought it cost money to have the lights on Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

There was a 'lycra god' cyclist in Cambridge recently who rode through a pedestrian crossing with people crossing the road in front of him. He hit one man, which threw him up in the air and killed him.  The cyclist  got off with a fine of less than the value of his bike. And only as little as this despite him admitting screaming at people to 'get out of the way , I'm not stopping'.  Murder in my opinion.I will post a link later , when I get home. Bit difficult to do do a decent search on mobile.