cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving in snow.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Driving in snow.

If you do have to drive on snow covered roads are you better in a light or heavy vehicle ? or put another way will a heaver car grip the road better (excluding 4WD) or does it make no difference ?
47 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Driving in snow.

Just keep on adding  passengers, to find out !  Cheesy
Fixes: 105

two kids didn't seem to make any difference...
Will Moderate For Thanks
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

You get better grip with more weight - but if you are trying to climb a really steep hill, you may be better with a lightweight vehicle.
You could also try wide tyres (or tyres with not much air in them).

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Heavier vehicles are usually better suited to snow. But the real trick is gentle steady driving, try not to make any sudden changes of direction or engine revs and start to brake gently and a long way out, Keep a lot of distance from the vehicle in front. If you need to overtake a parked (or skidding/slipping) vehicle start you turn gently from at least a hundred yards away from the obstruction. Most important unless you have no choice don't stop...however pretty the stranded driver is you will probably get stuck as well.
There was a very old trick; carry a couple of pieces of towelling (sample carpet squares are ideal) with a piece of string attached to them. If stuck tuck them under the driving wheels, tie the string to the rear door handles, this may get you moving. The string should be long enough to let the towels or pads drag behind you so you don't have to stop to pick them up.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Slow start in slippery conditions.....From stopped...... . Clutch in.... Engine at tickover...... Clutch out.... car will move forward slowly... judge the right moment to increase the revs
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

What are the biggest benefits of winter tyres compared with normal tyres?
Community Veteran

If you have both types. and you put on your winter tyres. then the "summer tyres" don`t wear out so quick  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/tester%E2%80%99s-notes/just-how-good-are-winter-tyres
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I don't really think the snow is as bad as the ice. I used to drive 16 miles to work in the snow. One year we had it really bad.. I was driving home and suddenly the snow got really heavy and thick. I could only see about a foot in front of the car. Everyone was hitting the brakes and turning on the hazard lights. All anyone could see was orange flashing lights - if you were really lucky. How any of us actually made it along those 2 miles without any accidents I'll never know. It was terrifying - you couldn't stop because the car behind probably wouldn't and yet you were stupid to keep going. It was a major A road too and the snow despite the traffic was at least 2-3 inches thick and getting worse.
My partner has always made light of my travelling tales of woe. Now they have to do it themselves they're panicking and telling me how much of a **** they'll be in if something happens to the car  - it didn't matter a bit when I was in that situation though  Roll eyes
The ice however is completely different. I've only really encountered that once and suffered really bad consequences as a result. The car was a write off - real nasty mess. Quote was £4.5k to repair it. I got lucky and had another matching model on the drive which wasn't going to pass an MOT so it died a noble death allowing the crashed car to live on.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I think, but could be wrong, when watching rally cars on snow and ice, they have narrow tyres with spikes, they want the weight of the car to push into the ice to force the spikes and tread into the snow and ice for grip. snow and ice melts under pressure.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
kmilburn
Grafter

When the snow gets compacted to ice,  it doesn't matter how big you are, if there's no traction, you're gonna slide!    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-21081224
However,  I don't think much of this piece of advice from the BBC,  especially his final comment!
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
You could also try wide tyres (or tyres with not much air in them).

Only on deep snow, which is normally off road driving for hard pack snow on roads godsell4 is correct
Quote from: godsell4
I think, but could be wrong, when watching rally cars on snow and ice, they have narrow tyres with spikes, they want the weight of the car to push into the ice to force the spikes and tread into the snow and ice for grip. snow and ice melts under pressure.

Quote from: journeys
What are the biggest benefits of winter tyres compared with normal tyres?

If the roads are clear of traffic you will not get stuck but the disadvantage is being trapped in a queue of traffic knowing that you have no problems driving in the conditions and getting very frustrated with the other drivers. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: kmilburn
When the snow gets compacted to ice,   it doesn't matter how big you are, if there's no traction, you're gonna slide!    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-21081224

The bus was funny!
However,  I don't think much of this piece of advice from the BBC,  especially his final comment!

No me neither. I had a head on prang a few years back with a parked car due to the ice. I tried everything to slow the car down but it just kept going for about 50 yards until it lined up perfectly with another car and hit it. I'd tried slowing it down, gently steering it, using the hand brake, nothing worked. I was only doing 20mph so I was reasonably lucky however had I been doing a faster and more dangerous speed, with the brakes fully on, there would have been no airbag deployment to protect me.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

This advice was also given by one of the motoring organisations today but they stressed only if your car has ABS braking.