Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving in Snow

Champnet
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 7

Re: Driving in Snow

This was a time before wing mirrors, rear view mirrors had to be used when manoeuvring the car : moving off, changing directions or lanes etc....... There's nothing in the Highway Code about watching tailgaters.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

@Champnet No.... I usually can see these things,..whilst driving along... I think it`s called Peripheral vision ... which also keeps me aware of other things on the roads that I should be noticing, ( as previously mentioned by someone else ! ! )

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Alex wrote

Of course it is, why do you think cars are fitted with rear view mirrors then?

Never driven a van or a lorry then Wink

shutter
Community Veteran

@Alex wrote:

Of course it is, why do you think cars are fitted with rear view mirrors then?

To help you put on your Lippy... and ...  or.... ( as the case may be )... help you to see where you are shaving, as you were late getting up! ! ! ... Cheesy

Champnet
Seasoned Champion

@shutter wrote:

@Champnet No.... I usually can see these things,..whilst driving along... I think it`s called Peripheral vision ... which also keeps me aware of other things on the roads that I should be noticing, ( as previously mentioned by someone else ! ! )

Easily distracted then...........

shutter
Community Veteran

@Champnet  hardly.... 55yrs driving, and no accidents....  or points on licence... just put it down to experience.. and "naval trainiing"... i.e. keeping lookout on the bridge whilst at sea... and entering & leaving harbour(s)... you need to be aware of your surroundings, and what (many) others who are not so watchful/careful/skilfull are about.

Champnet
Seasoned Champion

That's a good record.........

AlaricAdair
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

"Left hand down a bit...."

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
ffox
Pro

@shutter wrote:

.. 55yrs driving, and no accidents....  or points on licence...

My father was a member of the Vintage & Veterans Motoring association.  On the back of his large Jaguar Mk VII he sported the V badge with a 70 in the centre - 70 years of "faultless" driving.  He once drove my wife through Reading, leaving her a shaking wreck.  She reported that he carved a swathe through the traffic, not stopping at T junctions and oblivious to all the horn blasts.  He gave up driving shortly afterwards following an incident when he reversed into a petrol tanker in a filling station!

"Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall."

I've been driving 62 years and lucky so far.  I think I'll have to give up soon though. Sad