cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving in Snow

Fixes: 144

Driving in Snow

I was just reading an article about driving in snow and one piece of advice was this...

It's recommended that you double (or if you want to be really cautious -- triple) your normal distance between cars, giving yourself a minimum braking distance of six seconds. Put another way, for every 10 mph (16 kph) you're traveling, you should give yourself four car lengths of space. So if you're traveling at 30 mph (48 kph), you should have 12 car lengths between you and the vehicle ahead of you.

So with a 12 car gap ahead of you, we all know what's going to happen.

Other drivers behind you, thinking you have a problem are going to overtake you and slot in the gap ahead causing you to back off....etc....etc.

A nice idea but it doesn't always work in the real world.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 62.0.3 (64-bit)

23 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

Re: Driving in Snow

Yeah, It`s not always the guy in front you have to be careful about... it`t the muppets behind you that are more dangerous.... especially if YOU have to brake, and he is too close for comfort.... Ticked off

Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

I remember a time, and this was in good weather.

I got stuck with someone in front doing about 30-40 MPH on a motorway all of a sudden. Left hand lane. So I had to be behind at a dangerous slow speed. Trouble is to overtake I would have to go into the middle lane and build up speed very quickly because I don't want a car doing 70 hitting me while I am trying to build up speed. I wasn't in a powerful car either, so it took a bit of time.

So I had to use my judgement and check when there was no middle lane traffic, move and build up to a motorway speed ASAP. Bit scary at the time.

I suppose I could have been a bit naughty and used the hard shoulder to overtake but that is probably more risky as I don't want to smack into a parked car.

PowerLee
Rising Star

One thing to watch out for in the snow is if your car has ABS fitted, some systems wont work in the snow.

My previous car had a Bosch 2E ABS system fitted & it was confused by snow, ABS system would go mad, I find it was so lethal in the snow that I had to disable it if there was snow on the ground.

My current car has a ATE MK70 ABS system & works perfectly fine in the snow.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I remember driving in the falling/fresh snow on the M1 a couple of years ago. I was using a 4WD SUV with equipped with winter tyres. Lo and behold some idiot was driving at 30 mph in the middle lane trying to hog the whole motorway with his posh flashing warning lights.  Needless to say I didn't hang around and quickly overtook him in the deeper soft snow of the outer lane.   

The guy had the cheek to shower my car with salt and grit as I drove past. You'd think these local authority drivers would show more consideration for people in a rush.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Champnet
Pro

shutter wrote:

Yeah, It`s not always the guy in front you have to be careful about... it`t the muppets behind you that are more dangerous.... especially if YOU have to brake, and he is too close for comfort.... Ticked off

That's not what I was told when I tried to put a little distance between my car and the unmarked police car behind..........

Community Veteran

@Champnet Obviously, if you were trying to "get away" from them.... what I said was true..... the muppets behind you are more dangerous  ! ! ! !!  >..  Roll eyes

Fixes: 228

From the OP link:

You should also be looking ahead for stoplights, stop signs and curves in the road so you can give yourself adequate time to brake or steer around them.

Something that should be done in all weather conditions!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Champnet
Pro

shutter wrote:

@Champnet Obviously, if you were trying to "get away" from them.... what I said was true..... the muppets behind you are more dangerous  ! ! ! !!  >..  Roll eyes

I accused the Police Officer of driving too close in adverse conditions, he explained, very politely, that what happens behind is none of my concern.

Community Veteran

@Mav & @Strat

WOW !  it`s amazing what you can learn on this forum.....  !   Shocked

Fixes: 228

@shutter

I trust you'll be a safer driver from now onWink

In all seriousness it's amazing how many drivers seem to be oblivious to anything further ahead than the car in frontRoll eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

@Mav  Yeah, Thanks...

Actually, your description suits my missus..... ( although she can`t drive, and doesn`t ! )... she has no idea which road we are on, even when we go to same places... and is even more confused when I take a different route for whatever reason..  She is amazed when we are out in the country or on quiet lanes, and I point out a buzzard perched in a tree  or a fox running across a field off to the right or left of main road view. 

Fixes: 144

You're never too old to learn @shutter

However you can't teach an old dog new tricks......even an old sea dog Wink

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 62.0.3 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Champnet
Pro

shutter wrote:

@Mav  Yeah, Thanks...

Actually, your description suits my missus..... ( although she can`t drive, and doesn`t ! )... she has no idea which road we are on, even when we go to same places... and is even more confused when I take a different route for whatever reason..  She is amazed when we are out in the country or on quiet lanes, and I point out a buzzard perched in a tree  or a fox running across a field off to the right or left of main road view. 

We assume you were parked up while observing the local wildlife.............

Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Champnet wrote:

I accused the Police Officer of driving too close in adverse conditions, he explained, very politely, that what happens behind is none of my concern.

That is just plain Crazy2

Of course it is, why do you think cars are fitted with rear view mirrors then?