Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving in France

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Driving in France

Driving in France: New rules and regulations
If you like to take your vehicle for an occasional tour de France, then be warned. Because from 1st July 2012 all drivers visiting the country will require to carry a breathalyser kit in their vehicle at all times. If a driver ignores the new rules, then a fine could be enforced.
Single-user breathalyser kits will be enough to satisfy the new rules. They cost between £1 and £2 and will be available at ferry and tunnel terminals for crossings at France.
The breathalysers have been made a requirement so that people can test themselves against the legal French alcohol limit while driving. This is stricter than it is in the UK with a limit of 50 mg per 100 ml of blood being allowed (80 mg limit in UK).
The IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists) is recommending motorists visiting France to keep two breathalysers on them at all times. This allows you to have a spare in case one is used and then the police stop you.
When driving in France, UK motorists are also required to display a GB plate and adjust their headlights to the right.
Learn more at: www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/driving-abroad-whats-new-2012.html
Read more: http://wainwright.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=newsitems&action=display&thread=8937#ixzz1qKREKHlj
24 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Driving in France

Driving in France... old rule....
Remember to drive on the "wrong side" of the road...... Cheesy
Community Veteran

It's a lot of unnecessary hassle if you are simply off to Calais to buy some wine and have a meal. 
randpwar
Grafter

I hear what you say artmo and agree with you but it's thier country and they obviously think differently
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and there is this other one
France & Switzerland
Using a speed camera database like ours in Switzerland is illegal. As such the data is available as an option with the European database.
As of 5th January 2012 'Speed Cameras Warnings' are illegal in France. However, 'Warnings for Dangerous Areas' are legal. The French data is available as an option in the European database. In the near future we will be renaming the files to comply with the law.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

You also have to have a spare pair of distance reading spectacles with correct prescription in your car when driving in France.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Together with a Hi-Vis jacket and a warning triangle.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
It's a lot of unnecessary hassle if you are simply off to Calais to buy some wine and have a meal. 

I totally disagree with that. Safety comes first and if the french want everyone to safe and secure then so be it.
Frankly artmo, considering you're always such a positive chap I'm really surprised at such a negative comment from you of all people  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I can imagine the hysteria if we tried to introduce it here Wink
Community Veteran

It wouldn't even bother me! I don't drink so one breathalyser would do me fine as it would never get used!  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Extended to people who driver the electric mobility scooters.  Wink
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: AlaricAdair
You also have to have a spare pair of distance reading spectacles with correct prescription in your car when driving in France.

Pedant mode on/
What exactly are distance reading spectacles?
Pedant mode off/
I wear multi-focus specs which combine three levels of focus, is that what is meant perhaps...having a spare pair to satisfy French traffic police is stretching the bank balance somewhat.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Brittany Ferries say glasses required if you have contact lenses
http://www.brittany-internet.com/BrittanyNews/DrivingFrance/tabid/155/Default.aspx

plus a few other item not mentioned yet,  looks like you need a trailer to carry it all
Community Veteran

So in otherwords, fill your car with a pharmacy, opticians and a hospital  Cheesy
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
having a spare pair to satisfy French traffic police is stretching the bank balance somewhat.

You can buy single-vision glasses online really cheaply, all you need is your prescription.
The supplier I use will do them for £19 delivered, often less with offers.