cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving Over the Christmas Period.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Driving Over the Christmas Period.

My missus wants to visit some family, who live about 100 miles away,... the longest stretch of road is dual carriageway, from Winchester to Bicester... i.e. the A34.    I have travelled this road , literally , thousands of time, since the early 1960`s and it can be very busy at times...  generally, it is a "good run"... with average speeds about 65mph...  and total journey time of just under 2 hours..

No problem,...   except, she wants to go there and back on Boxing Day...

On the face of it... the roads should be reasonably quiet... not so many HGV`s to start with..less travelling reps , and general business journeys.....  . but I am a little concerned, that there may well be an excess of drivers who will be driving under the influence of drink, ( from the previous day/evening) and, of course, the celebratory nose sniffing, needle pluggers and their druggy friends.

If it were your choice, would you opt for Boxing Day travel? (i.e. the monday after christmas day).. 

or the day after Boxing day (ie. the tuesday)... to minimise the risks mentioned.

5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: Driving Over the Christmas Period.

To be honest I don’t think that there is anyway of negating the aforementioned risk (maybe with the exception of alcohol)  as people who drive under the influence of any illegal substance probably don’t even know what day it is and evidently do not care about others on the road.

However, even with the higher risk because of the time of year I’d still be inclined to do the journey on the 26th on the assumption that the police are on the ball and in theory should extra vigilant and be on the lookout for drink drivers.

Fixes: 104

Most years we travel up the M1 on boxing day for about 115 miles and it's normally very quiet, so I would def go for boxing day rather than the day after.

Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

A number of years ago we did the A23/M23 from near Brighton, M25, A12 to the other side of Ipswich and back on Christmas day.

We were surprised by the amount of traffic even on Christmas day!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Strangely, I have rarely seen any police patrols on the A34 ... except  a couple of times when there was an accident... and they were driving like bats out of hell, to get there...

Thanks for your choices, guys.... boxing day it is then...  !  Wink

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Three of our daughters live within an hours drive so as well as having Christmas day to ourselves this year (screaming grandchildren? No thanks) we'll 'do the rounds' on Boxing day and visit each in turn starting with breakfast, lunch, and a light evening meal at each of their homes before heading back for some peace and quiet.

A nice round trip of around a hundred miles and all on country roads, so not that bad if the weather is kind to us.   

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.