cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving Licence

Community Veteran

Driving Licence

There is a suggestion that older drivers should not have to renew their driving licence until they are 80.  Seems a good idea to me.
Driving Licence
58 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Driving Licence

On the contrary, many at the age of 70 are starting to loose their marbles. Before anyone jumps on me for that I said many not all.
Increasing the age of renewal (presumably with no medical) is only going to be more dangerous. Don't forget, many of the older generations never had to take any formal driver training, never had to pass a test and many can legally drive larger vehicles.
Not even an eye test until they're 80? This is crazy.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Devonian
Grafter

80?  
What on earth are they thinking?
The amount of elderly drivers on the road that shouldn't be behind the wheel is shocking.
Just yesterday a 90 year old went through a red light because he couldn't 'find' the break, and ended up with a broken neck after ramming 2 other cars.
http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/vehicle-crash-closes-Dartmouth-Road-Paignton/story-20738416-de...
Almost every day there is reports of crashes involving elderly drivers making stupid mistakes.
If anything, they should lower the age and introduce yearly checks.
Fixes: 105

I agree, personal experience shows that 70 is late enough.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I shall have to renew my driving licence, at age 70, in late September... DVLC will inform me 3 months before the due date.
Whilst everyone feels that they are a good driver.. I know I am !.. and that is not being big headed... I am very confident on the road, do not have any debilitating diseases, can read a number plate at the required distance... and have a good sense of where I am, what I am doing, and the situation all around me, when I am driving.  oh, yes... I still have my marbles.  Cheesy
I have been driving since I was 21 years old... passed the driving test, first time..... twice... and have never had an accident. I reckon I must have covered a bout a million miles.
I am not sure that I would pass the driving test, on todays standards, and I do think that some of "us oldies" should have a "drive with confidence test"...where the "examiner" is looking to see how "safe" the driver is when out and about... whether he/she is observant regarding traffic rules. signs and positioning etc., being his "personal judgement" rather than a fixed set of rules.... After all, if driver is experienced and the "examiner" feels safe to be driven by him/her, then that is no different to you or I getting on a bus, and having the same confidence in the bus driver.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Renewing at 70 or 80 won't make a blind bit of difference as all you have to do is say you are still fit to drive
Currently drivers must send their licence to be renewed when they reach 70, declaring if they have any medical conditions which could affect their driving, and confirming they can still read a number plate  at 65ft. After 70, they must reapply every three years to keep driving.
Devonian
Grafter

Shutter I agree.
You can be 70 years old, and have the reflexes of a 40 year old.. but at the same time it can be vice versa.
But just like taking the car for an mot when it reaches a certain age, it makes sense for actual humans to be checked to.
Not the actual driving test, but a reflex test, and general spacial awareness.
My other half is taking a driving test soon, so I decided to take the practice theory test on the DSA website.. half of it has nothing to do with being a safe driver, I was shocked!
1 question actually marked me as incorrect, when it asked about skipping gears whilst driving.  I ticked the box that says you should change gear in sequence.  It said that was wrong!!!!
Why?
Because skipping gears it said, is more eco friendly driving!  What on earth has that got to do with safe driving?  Not to mention damaging the gear box/clutch.
I then took the practice hazard perception test..
What a pile of rubbish!  
I marked a school crossing patrol as a hazard... it failed me on that and said the hazard was a car pulling up to a give way line on a side road?! Really?  So school kids aren't a hazard?
That explains the mess of the roads at the moment.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool Three words...
Hazard Perception Test
Teenagers who grew up clicking computer mice take on average three shots at passing it bcoz they dont know nuffin yet. Ergo it should be a breeze for the experienced driver? Right? I certainly think the Theory Test should be re-sat every 20 years, by every one.
But at least cars do keep the doddering *** off of mobility scooters and therefore, off the pavement. Most of the time.
Community Veteran

If we are all so "young" and fit that the pensionable age keeps rising wouldn't it be hypocritical for the government NOT to similarly raise the age renewal requirement on driving licences.
Either we are getting fitter and healthier into old age or we aren't. You can't have it both ways.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Agree with shutter on this

I don't think it's a very good idea. 'bout 5 years ago I was prescribed statins, the side effects affected my judgement as a driver, mentioned it to my GP (that I really shouldn't be driving) he took me off them but said there are over 2 million drivers taking statins, I cannot believe they all are unaffected.
If Í had my way I'd MOT the driver and the car at the same time, regardless of age.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Quote from: Devonian
I marked a school crossing patrol as a hazard... it failed me on that and said the hazard was a car pulling up to a give way line on a side road?! Really?  So school kids aren't a hazard?

Just blame cyclists avoiding the pot holes. Yep, there's no test question on avoiding lunar craters in the A414. btw Tell your other half that on the road driving bit of the HPT, you are driving behind another car when the gap narrows to just under two seconds - that's the hazard. Click then and score five points.
Fixes: 125

As you get older you can begin to lose the ability to react as fast as you used to. Trouble is it's a bit like being under the influence of alcohol in that you are not necessarily aware of it.
I agree that raising the age for renewal to 80 is not a good idea.
Having worked in the claims department of Saga I regularly had to deal with elderly drivers who have had an accident of some sort. Admittedly many were not of their own fault but many were and of those there was a considerable number who, on chatting to them over the phone, I got a distinct feeling that they should not have been behind the wheel in the first place. Many couldn't even recall an accident that had happened the day before.
The 'I've been driving for 50 years without an accident' mentality was rife. What they didn't realise is that that didn't prove they were excellent drivers but just that they hadn't had an accident!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Devonian
Grafter

@thunderclap
Have you taken a theory test recently?
It's useless.
It focuses on eco driving and proving first aid to injured cyclists, but completely ignores road safety.
The practice I took only asked me about 1 road sign!
Oh and another I remembered..
It said:
When you approach a roundabout, to take the second exit, when do you indicate?
There were 4 choices, I ticked 'stay to the right, indicate right, then after passing the first exit, check mirrors, indicate left, check mirrors again, and then manoeuvre.
That was incorrect.
It said:  Do not indicate, stay left, whilst passing the first left exit, check mirrors, indicate left, then manoeuvre.
Umm since when do you use a roundabout like that?  
Devonian
Grafter

Quote from: Thunderclap
btw Tell your other half that on the road driving bit of the HPT, you are driving behind another car when the gap narrows to just under two seconds - that's the hazard. Click then and score five points.

Grin  Really?  How  can you tell on a pc the car in front is to close?  Thats hardly fair!
Fixes: 125

@Devonian I have to agree with the answer given. That was the way I was always taught in the late 70's.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still