cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving Licence Renewal

Strat
Fixes: 495

Driving Licence Renewal

My driving licence is up for renewal by August and facilities are available to do it online for free.
However a current passport is required to verify my identity.

I only had a passport for one trip overseas in 2004 and it has now expired so I can't verify my identity that way.
Also at £75 for renewal it makes the new driving licence quite expensive.

As of today I have a form D1 to renew my licence by post but it requires a photo.

Our local post office has facilities for taking the photo but I don't think it would be acceptable with the required face covering.
I'm unsure if photo-booths are in service or not.

Interesting times.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 85.0.2 (64-bit)

17 REPLIES 17
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Driving Licence Renewal

Seventy five pounds, are you sure as it says here it cost £14 to renew it on line - unless I'm reading it wrong.

I know when I had to renew my lost licence it cost me I'm sure about £25 only to find out later that if I'd waited just two months longer I'd have had it for free as I would then have been over 70. 

Nobody thought to tell me but I suppose I should have known and no, they would not give me a refund! 

Grrr. 

As for those photographs was there not one on your old license as when I eventually received my new one they used the one they had on file for me. Passport photographs are something else as they can be very picky about those. 

PS. Just reading again and you are talking about the cost of renewing a passport not your driving licence

Do'h. 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 44

I have to renew my driving licence every 3 years... due to being an old git... ! ..

Last year, I had some problems, and managed to get the answers via emailing them...

I completed a renewal form... which.... as you say.. requires a photograph...  I took these myself in my front room, against a plain wall background... I set up my camera on a tripod.. ( posh , I know, but you can get someone to take it, or stand it on a pile of books, whatever ) .

I placed a chair next to the wall, and then marked the wall where my head would be... using some blutack for the centre point of the face.

went back to the camera... set the focus,   on that spot... then set the timer... and flash... pressed the button.. and sat on the chair.. did some photo processing using IRFANVIEW... and making sure that the printed picture would be the correct size.. ( measurements are on the form )

printed it off on the inkjet printer... then  trimmed the edges ... stuck it down... and posted it off.. new licence was posted back with that photo on it ....

No problem. ! 

P.s.  due to being over 70, there was no renewal fee  ! ...

Strat

@Minivanman The £75 is for the passport in order to verify my identity on the driving licence application, but I wouldn't go down that route.

To summarise I need a passport type photo but we are in lock-down.

I know they can be done at home but the DVLA is very picky and I have longer hair now.

Strat

Thank you @shutter that is very useful and I do have a camera and tripod 👍

shutter
Community Veteran

@Strat   Just to confirm some points made in my previous..... following are extracts from emails sent to me by DVLA.

There is no charge for a photo renewal aged 70 or over, so no payment is necessary.

. As long as the photograph has a pale grey, cream or white (clutter free) background, it should be fine.

Good news, your application was received today. Your licence has been renewed and the photo has been updated. The new licence will leave here on Monday, so it should be with you towards the end of next week. The expiry date on the new licence is XXXXXXXX  and you are now ‘photo exempt’ which means you will never have to update your photograph again, unless you wish to do so.

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 177

@Strat 

Have you a laptop with camera? If so oe way is to take a screen grab a 'selfie' and paste it into a word processing app. I use Word and there I can crop to the right aspect ratio and drag to the correct size. Print it as per @shutter  and the job's done.

We have a switched on council and can renew a Bus Pass by using the web cam, clicking wnen happy with the framing and that's it. It's a pity that DVLA can't do the same with a renewal.

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@shutter wrote:

There is no charge for a photo renewal aged 70 or over, so no payment is necessary.

Interesting, When I had the address changed 10 year ago you'd have thought they'd have made the renewal date my 70yrs. But no, I had to pay to get it renewed recently for just another 3 yrs validity.

I will say the renewed driving licence came through very fast. With the current restrictions I was expecting a bit of a wait but, with a bit of hindsight (wonderful thing to have), maybe I should have sanitised the licence once it arrived, given the number of positive tests at DVLA.  😮  Stay safe.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Champnet
Champion

The Wife’s just renewed her’s, she went to the Post Office with completed form, they took the photo.

Passport not required (it was away for renewal). Payment made, job done.
Any worries just ring the Post Office....

Strat

@Champnet aren't you supposed to keep a face covering on when in a shop.

Maybe not as rules change by the hour.

LifeonMars
Pro
Fixes: 11

The Post office that take photos for passports/D/L etc are covid secure with screens protecting the Customer and the Counter server. So your Mask can be removed whist you face the camera unit which is in the Customers section .

Champnet
Champion

@Strat  I stood well back but what I saw is as @LifeonMars describes.....

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@shutter wrote:

@Strat   Just to confirm some points made in my previous..... following are extracts from emails sent to me by DVLA.

and you are now ‘photo exempt’ which means you will never have to update your photograph again, unless you wish to do so.

What if you 'have some work done' as they say?

shutter
Community Veteran

@Jonpe   I think that was covered with the words......

....... unless you wish to do so..      Smiley

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I took my wife's photo on her phone and uploaded it to the site online as part of the renewal process.