cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving Licence, Birth Certificates and Passports

itsme
Grafter

Driving Licence, Birth Certificates and Passports

As someone that could be classed approaching or off the older generation I have not kept up to date with all the changes of certain documents but every so often I'm jolted to keep up to date.
Filling in a job application and had to tick which groups of vehicles I could drive. My driving licence only has A and E. So had to go a find out about C1 D1 etc.
Have heard that short form Birth Certificates are not accepted by employers (if you have not got a passport) so did a search and found for a first time passport application that not only a full Birth Certificate is required but that your parents are also require.
If you were born or adopted in the UK
If you were born in the UK before 1983, IPS needs to see your birth or adoption certificate.
If you were born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983, IPS needs to see your full birth or adoption certificate. This has to show your parents' details. They also need to see one of the following:
    your mother's UK birth certificate, Home Office certificate of registration or naturalisation, or her passport that was valid at the time of your birth
    your father's UK birth certificate, Home Office certificate of registration or naturalisation, or his passport that was valid at the time of your birth and your parents' marriage certificate

14 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Driving Licence, Birth Certificates and Passports

Checks before issuing first UK passport seem quite reasonable.
What I do wish we could have is a simple EU identity card as we don't really need a full passport for our 6 monhly trips through Chunnel.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

What annoyed me was the pesky requirement for some sort of official to sign to say they've known you for many years such as a policeman, civil servant, preacher etc.
They seem to think we're still in the 1960's where everyone lives in a village and knows someone in a position like it. This is the 21st century and not everyone does.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
What annoyed me was the pesky requirement for some sort of official to sign

I've always ignored that, just used someone who already has a passport.
Not that it's necessary these days for renewals.
In the past I've signed several passport applications, often for staff working for me, and I'm none of the categories mentioned.
All were fine.
itsme
Grafter

Director?
Community Veteran

Me? No, just a middle manager. Not on anyones radar for anything.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I signed quite a lot for the staff working for me but then again I was a Chartered Engineer and hence allowed to
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

What annoyed me was the pesky requirement for some sort of official to sign to say they've known you for many years such as a policeman, civil servant, preacher etc.
They seem to think we're still in the 1960's where everyone lives in a village and knows someone in a position like it. This is the 21st century and not everyone does.
That annoys me as well,
they are suggesting that a policeman, civil servant, preacher etc is a more honest person than someone not in one of these categories but history shows that such groups are no more honest that those not in any of these groups indeed it might even be suggested there is a greater level of dishonesty in those within there groups...........
Community Veteran

I think the security requirements for new passports are reasonable.
I have signed many passport applications for friends and not had any problems.
I guess most of us have a doctor so if all else fails the doc is able to sign applications.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Excellent article in our local paper a few years ago about someone getting the GP to sign a passport form which he did and then gave her a bill for £60 !
Working in the NHS I never had a problem and signed a few applications myself but not everyone knows someone who will sign (for nothing)
Community Veteran

Yes GPs would make a charge in most cases as it's not needed for medical reasons.
itsme
Grafter

Never seen my GP would he still sign to make a few quid?
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

That certainly posed a problem for me when applying for something shortly after relocating 500 miles.
Had to do it by post in the end.  Roll eyes
Not young enough to know everything
pierre_pierre
Grafter

no problem for me as step son is a Police Sargeant with a different surname
Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
Never seen my GP would he still sign to make a few quid?

Technically he should have known you so possibly should refuse to sign.