cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driverless Lorries

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Driverless Lorries

Well not exactly driverless, the lead lorry would have a driver but the other 2 would be connected by wifi.

I guess many of you will have seen it on the news recently but will it really work ?

Apart from the loss of the wifi signal another problem might be roundabouts, lights on green first lorry goes through, then lights change to red, what happens to lorries 2 & 3.

Will it work ? Personally I am doubtful.

18 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Driverless Lorries

As I understood it lorries 2 and 3 would have drivers to take over under such circumstances until the technology is advanced enough to dispense with them.

A scary prospect though.

I saw one related news item where a car was heading towards another car and a quad bike for an inevitable crash.

The idea was to see which vehicle the car would decide to crash into.

I think it chose the other car as the quad bike driver was more vulnerable to injury.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

gleneagles wrote:

Apart from the loss of the wifi signal another problem might be roundabouts, lights on green first lorry goes through, then lights change to red, what happens to lorries 2 & 3.

Will it work ? Personally I am doubtful.

Not many traffic lights or roundabouts on Motorways we're they'll be testing, and intend using the tech.

It works, there's already been successful trials run in Europe, and also the US if I recall

Community Veteran

@DaveyH

But at some point they will have to leave the motorway and a number of roundabouts at the end of slip roads do have traffic lights.

True they may be using the system elsewhere but my understanding is that it is a total of 2 trucks and not 3 as proposed for the UK

DaveyH
Pro

gleneagles wrote:

@DaveyH

But at some point they will have to leave the motorway and a number of roundabouts at the end of slip roads do have traffic lights.

At which point they'll no longer be platooning, and resume normal driver control. 

As i said it's designed for Motorways. A bit like if you've ever owned or driven a car with any kind of driver assistive technologies, you use them when appropriate, you don't drive around with them permanently engaged...

True they may be using the system elsewhere but my understanding is that it is a total of 2 trucks and not 3 as proposed for the UK

https://www.theverge.com/2016/4/7/11383392/self-driving-truck-platooning-europe

Community Veteran

The Australians have had a less technical version of this for years.

They call it a road train.

Community Veteran

@DaveyH

I thought the idea was to have one driver and 3 trucks rather than a driver in each truck ?

Clearly I have got that wrong.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Breaking News - Flash!

Lorry in convoy hijacked by WiFi hackers.  The truck was found abandoned 10 miles away empty of its load.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

You forgot to add " the russians done it "

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

so .... picture the scene... 3 lorries set off from Dover, to go to the Isle of Skye.  (full of bananas or whatever ) . In this newfangled "convoy" called "platooning"... lorry driver number 1... he is the "boss" guy of the outfit... and he has to do all the work... YUP !  ALL the work... he has to consider all his own lorry characteristics, i.e. turning circle, power to weight ratio, braking distances, calculate which gear is needed to ascend/descend hills, etc... and keep in mind the other two lorries trundling along behind him at 58 mph. ( the legal limit )... until they need to  enter/ leave service areas, and then , when needed, he is ( I suppose ) going to pass on that info to the two guys in the lorries behind him.. who are supposed to take over for manouvres like that, but what are they going to be doing for the rest of the journey, on the miles and miles of motorway?  probably, watching movies, texting on the phone... cooking something to eat on the  in-cab microwave, updating people on facebook, reading a book/magazine/newspaper, or even sleeping... crikey me.... can you imagine it ?  they have nowt to do for hours on end...what will they be getting paid for ? 

may as well be driving properly, as there are certainly quite a few who already carry out those "illegal" past-times on the roads as it is...

Community Veteran

gleneagles wrote:

@DaveyH

I thought the idea was to have one driver and 3 trucks rather than a driver in each truck ?

Clearly I have got that wrong.

Yes, on the news item last night, it was stated that each lorry would have a driver, "just in case"..  but how quickly could they react to an emergency situation, like a pileup ? beggars belief.. ( see my other post ! )..

Community Veteran

Further to my previous two posts...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4825350/Several-dead-crash-M1.html

Hmm.... driverless lorries....  ? ? ? ? ? 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

If they want convoys of lorries, why not simply make it legal to have roadtrains in this country? Saves faffing about with hackable electronics that could lead to potential disaster... Smiley

KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Community Veteran

This is actually the shape of things to come. The "environmentally friendly" delivery truck.

They will all have to be like this because the lead lorry will be nothing much more than a giant battery.

And they'll be connected by a heavy duty electric cable (not wifi).Smiley

DaveyH
Pro

twocvbloke wrote:

If they want convoys of lorries, why not simply make it legal to have roadtrains in this country? Saves faffing about with hackable electronics that could lead to potential disaster... Smiley

KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Because they'd be impractical on British Roads.