Drink Driving to be legalised 29th March

Devonian
Grafter

Drink Driving to be legalised 29th March

15 REPLIES
Fixes: 101

Re: Drink Driving to be legalised 29th March

great one Smiley
It is thought the wording is a blend of two separate safety messages and was caused by a computer error.

and that is bobbins Cheesy
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

@Devonian - I'll drink to that!  Wink
Geoff,
York.
TORPC
Grafter

Thought it was caused by a computer error ?Huh
A computer will only print out what has been inputted into it int 1st place
Nice laugh though
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Mr. Driving can't wait until then I guess. Tongue
Devonian
Grafter

He's a criminal don't you know.  Grin
@TORPC The inputter is Torbay Council... say no more!  Roll eyes
adie:quote
TORPC
Grafter

@Devonian
I have not had the pleasure in dealing with Torbay Council
Pray tell, you have  my undivided attention Wink
Fixes: 121

They're certainly unforgiving regarding overstaying parking even with a Blue Badge.
We overstayed by 5 mins 2 years ago when taking my mother around Babacombe model village. Parked in a disabled bay showing badge and still had to pay! They say allow 1.5 - 2 hours so we paid for 3 but it was still a struggle pushing the wheel chair and we had to rush towards the end.
I wrote to the coucil but they refused to waive the fee - rules is rules Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Devonian
Grafter

I popped to the local recycling centre aka council tic last weekend.
I had in the car (Not my van because vans are banned  Angry) I had 12 black bags full of wallpaper, paint tins, carpet.. you know, the stuff you ditch after you paper/paint/recarpet a bedroom in your own home.
They attempted ( Grin) to refuse to let me throw it away, saying 'only 3 bags per person'  Shocked
I asked him what kind of crazy office monkey came up with that rule, considering the bin men wouldn't take it, and it has to go somewhere.. especially as my council tax funds the tip.
They then said 'If it's not in the bags it's fine'  Shocked
They expected me to empty it all out off the bags and into the boot of my car before I drove through the gate to dump it all.  Grin
So I opened the boot, and started putting the bags on the floor, balanced against the little security hut...
When they realised I was just going to leave it there, they said 'Just this once you can go in'.
As Mav said, Rules is rules!
TORPC
Grafter

My localish tip has also got rules that they make up as they go along
For example
For Vans or Trailers
We have to apply in advance to the council for Permits & then they only allow 5 Permits per Year
Van/Trailer Permit Request
If you wish to take a van or a trailer to the Household Waste Recycling Centre you must have a Permit. The Permit is free and can only be issued to residents, who wish to dispose of their own Household Waste.
In order to obtain a Permit you must supply the registration number of the vehicle you are taking to the site. Permits are issued for a maximum of 2 visits (Limited to 5 Permits per year) and are sent out by 1st class mail. Arrangements can also be made for Permits to be collected from the Civic Centrel.
To access the site you will need to take along your Permit, proof of address and photographic ID.
**If you attend the HWRC without the appropriate documentation, you will be refused entry**

Also as for DIY/Renovation work
Description of waste being disposed:
Please Note: DIY/Renovation work is not classified as Household Waste and is not covered by the Van/Trailer Permit Scheme. If you are undertaking such work you should arrange for the hiring of a skip, or alternatively the waste can be taken to the Household Waste Recycling Centre. Vehicles will need to be weighed on the weighbridge and a cost will be incurred depending on how much material is being taken.
Permits will no longer be issued for large quantities of Garden Waste. Should you wish to take such items in a van/trailer, the vehicle will need to be weighed at the weighbridge.

However I have never been asked to show any permits (as yet)
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

they tried that charging nonsense round here,
after 4 weeks they rescinded the charges as cleaning up the fly tipped waste was 10x more expensive than just taking it for free.
people are stupid if they pay these ass hats when they already pay council taxes that cover the costs of running the tips, the tips then make money on the side by selling on various items of waste (most make a massive profit for the private companies that run them) they might get more recycling done since waste services were privatised but they also cost a fortune to the tax payer whilst the private companies make a huge profit from being paid to collect the rubbish and then from selling it, our lot locally even take the compostable and biomass it to generate electric before processing it into compost that they bag and sell back to the same public, worse they sell it to the council  for whatever jobs when the council hasn't given them the rubbish nor sold it to them......
so much corruption is going on in local and national government its not even funny
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Devonian
Grafter

I can't for the life of me see how wall paper, carpet, and paint tins can 'Banned' or restricted.
Wall paper... is paper!
Carpet is textiles.
Paint tins are tins!
Even if I were, say, knocking down a wall in the garden, it would be a one off load of rubble.. that the council would only sort, grade, and sell on any way.
Why do we pay council tax, which is supposed to pay for things like waste management, if the council wont let us take our own household rubbish to the tip, OR allow the bin men to collect it?
Because the council CAN charge to collect it for us.
You can't leave it for the bin men, you can't take it to the waste management centre (tip) and you can't dump it, so what can you do with it?
Order a skip for £140 when you don't need one?  No chance.
TORPC
Grafter

I totally agree, more so with your last sentence.
Quote from: nanotm
<snip>
so much corruption is going on in local and national government its not even funny

& some may think loan sharks are corrupt, they will never be as corrupt as those in power
@Dev
You are exactly right, therefore they try it on to see how may daft folk will fall for their stupid ideas
Just dump it outside the gate(s) after hours, with a note that says something like
(Sorry I have been put here for recycling, however as it is against local by-laws it is better than me being fly-tipped down the lanes or up the mountain, thus increasing costs for the extra cleanup, since you have already been paid via the council tax et al  etc)
That's what a lot of folk do at our localish tip
Devonian
Grafter

Don't dump rubbish at the gates!
If you are turned away, then take it to the town hall and leave it with reception.  Grin
TORPC
Grafter

Great idea  Wink
Grin Grin Grin Grin