cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dressing for the cold (or not)

annerimmington
Grafter

Dressing for the cold (or not)

Saw a bloke yesterday wearing a thin hoody and those kneee length shorts in temperatures probably around -6 !!!!    Amazes me why some people dress totally inappropriately for  the cold weather............more often than not you see people with no gloves and hands red raw - I mean how much do a pair of gloves cost  - £1 at Primark and Poundstretcher!   My next door neighbour is always complaining about her heating bills yet she sits around the house wearing a sleeveless t-shirt !!      I bought one of those Peruvian hats that covers your ears and it`s true what they say - wearing a hat certainly does keep the body heat in!!    I had 4 layers on when I ventured out yesterday  - t-shirt, polo neck jumper, thick aran sweater, anorak and thermal gloves, wooly tights, jeans and thermal boots !!    
24 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Dressing for the cold (or not)

For many years during my 30's and 40's I would annoy Mrs P by wandering around in sub-zero temperatures in summer shirts and shorts, I simply didn't feel cold, she also noted happily it was like sleeping next to a radiator.
As I've got older the built in heating system doesn't work so well, but I can understand where "your observed bloke" was coming from.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The postmen around here seem to be "that way inclined"....... I did ask one postie, why they do it......he replied, that some of them have bets on with each other, how long they can keep dressed in their shorts whilst doing their rounds after the summer !... Roll eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

its not just the men or the young
say an elderly woman in the snow, skirt about knee level and just ankle socks, definitely no tights, reminds me of the Scots and what do they wear under the kilt
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Having worked outdoors in all sorts of rotten weathers I'm also one of the daft ones who doesn't always realise just how cold it is. I'd never wear shorts but I do wear incredibly thin trousers like an idiot. Just recently in the last couple of years I've discovered just how nice a woolley hat actually is. I've never enjoyed gloves much as those thin 'thinsulate' ones are the only ones I've ever been issued with and they're crap. I really should invest in some proper thermals some time. The worst part of me is my feet as they get freezing cold at night sat here with the PC. The OH found me some really cool socks called heat holders. They have a tog rating like a duvet of 2.1 (iirc) and are really warm.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

And it was fairly cold where I was yesterday morning but it warmed up after lunch time.
https://picasaweb.google.com/103437981783078569714/ConistonFinished?authkey=Gv1sRgCIy139u89s3wCw
annerimmington
Grafter

Beautiful snowscenes gleneagles............all we have today is freezing rain and fog - not very picturesque!
Talking of posties wearing shorts..........ours always wear them year round.  Mind you,I`m not complaining - they are all young males with rather nice legs!
Community Veteran

Great pics gleneagles.
It's snowing heavily here in Essex, and just as all of Sunday's snow has cleared Sad
Community Veteran

You have to feel sorry for this young boy.  He must be freezing Sad
Boy Freezing
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

see post 4 - shows some people don't follow other posters links
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@gleneagles good pictures, thanks.
I've “safety lectured” folk "prior to working in the cold conditions", (i.e. below -30). It doesn’t matter how warm you feel a ‘cold bone’ will break more easily than a ‘warm bone’.
You never see an Inuit or a Sami in shorts.
CX
Grafter

Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
see post 4 - shows some people don't follow other posters links

Woops - sorry Jim. Roll eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just got a very light snow dusting last night in mid Essex, and temp is hovering on 0c,  it has all travelled to the west on its way to Wales.
But we still have a lot from last Sunday, luckily went out in boots, needed them to walk across Sainsbury  Car park, and we only have two car tracks down our road, the foot paths are still covered
good advice here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16946762.  the only thing they have missed is that Automatics are not nice in the snow.  You should switch down to locked gear, no free wheel
Essex CC have published a map of the roads they grit,http://www.essex.gov.uk/Travel-Highways/Winter-service/Pages/Default.aspx
this might workhttp://www.essex.gov.uk/Travel-Highways/Winter-service/Documents/Winter%20Full%20Network.pdf