cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dressing by default

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Dressing by default

We often go out to various places, for a "little light lunch"...  ( How verry posh! ! )... but it annoys me, that if you order something, that has an excuse for salad on the side of the plate... that they, by default, dribble some kind of dirty brown liquid they call "dressing" over it.... totally spoiling the original concept of having a salad..i.e. fresh produce.

Why do these places do that... ? Not everyone, and I am number one in the queue, likes this muck on the salad, and therefore it gets left on the plate, uneaten. and thrown into the waste bin... ( I hope). when the plate returns to the kitchen.

They don`t put pepper and salt on, by default

, and you don`t get sugar in your tea or coffee, by default,

so why should they assume you need the dribble of gunge over your salad,..... by default.. ?

surely it would be better to have the dribble in a suitable dispenser on the table, as with sugar, salt, and pepper, brown sauce, etc etc... so the customer can have a choice.as to whether they want it or not...

31 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Dressing by default

Have you tried asking them not to?

Just saying.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Community Veteran

But that is not the point... I don`t have to ask them not to put sugar in my tea/coffee... nor do I have to ask them not to put salt and pepper on my other food... so why should I even have to consider asking them not to put the dressing on... I am being deprived of eating the salad, when they put the dressing on , by default,. especially if I don`t already know they do it by default ? 

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Maybe it's a regional thing. Doesn't usually happen in Worcestershire.

Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

No,... as not all places in Hampshire, do this.... I think it is some "cheffy" thing... they seen it on the telly, and think ,... ah yes.. I`ll do that, and people will think I am a brill chef....

Community Veteran

When I order a salad it is generally served on a seperate plate or shallow bowl and offered with a choice of dressings. I normally select french dressing. If I'm in the States I have a weakness for their blue cheese dressing - naughty but nice Wink

Community Veteran

The salad referred to in this case.... is "window dressing"... i.e. a few green leaves, of various denominations, and a couple of mini tomatoes chopped in half...

not ordered. or really wanted.... but eatable without the brown dribble all over it...

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

If it's windows dressing,should't it be curtains for that establishment?

BTW I wish cheese wasn't grated so often.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

How often CAN you grate cheese?    surely once it has been grated, it would be very difficult to grate it again,

or am i being ungrateful  ? ?   !    Cheesy

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Now is that a great joke or one that grates?Grin

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Why do they put gravy on a Sunday Roast unless you specifically tell them not to?

Fixes: 47

In my local Tesco they have Beef Gravy and Chicken Gravy but I've never seen Fish Gravy on sale Undecided

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

@Strat You just ruined my next great marketing coup !... now every gravy/sauce manufacturer will be there before me...  Cry

I had almost convinced the bank manager to loan me the start up costs... but you have ruined me.. Cry

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Salt and vinegar on your chips Sir? Cheesy

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.