Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dreams advert on the telly

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dreams advert on the telly

Very good point @shutter. I find that the plot in some (in fact a lot of) adverts simply don't follow the laws of physics or even a simple logic test like you have here.

Speaking of odd adverts anyone seen the new advert with Action Man in it! Whoever makes these is on a serious nostalgia driven homoerotic fantasy!

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

We'd have to be deeply rational  in order to object to some sort of poetic licence being used in advertisements - I never thought for one moment those chocolates were really delivered by some guy jumping out of a helicopter and then swimming underwater before climbing aboard a luxury yacht!

Anyways, most adverts are only half watched, these days they are mostly listened to hence that husky voiced watered down version of a good song. 

It's all clever stuff that's for sure. Smiley

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Anonymous

Ah yes, one thought immediately popped into my head when I saw that - the Village People Wink 

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

Yes @Minivanman, I thought Village People when I saw it.

@Anonymous Homoerotic fantasy indeed.  First they had the twerking guy, then this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PgTjhx1VLw

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's nothing wrong with a creative advert but when it ventures on the creepy that's another question. I don't watch much TV in general let along commercial but I do like this one:

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Anonymous

Ventures into the creepy?

Absolutely right, but all's fair in advertising - unless spotted and complained about.

I can think of a few that make me feel very uncomfortable and embarrassed for having such thoughts, but placed there by others and like a Max Miller joke, a punch line is delivered and we are left to complete it being left with a dirty mind for doing so.

Sometimes such things to not click until years later and we go crikey, is that what they were getting at - and really we sort of knew all along..... or thought we did. 

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

In spite of appearances sometimes, most adverts are shot in a studio about the size of a warehouse. And, can take hours or even day's to get a usable 30 seconds of advert.

I know, as I spent weeks in a studio as technical adviser. spent most of it sitting around getting bored and drinking tea, while 6 or 7 different highly militant unions argued about who's job it was to turn on the toilet light.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Who were these militant unions?

I was once a shop steward with the ETU and boy were they!

Much and many years later I joined and then recruited for BECTU but they were just purring pussycats...... so I left. Wink

PS. And for those that were following the Vac topic.....

"All the dirt all the grit Hoover gets up every bit......"

They don't make 'em like that any more.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Minivanman Much too long ago to name all the unions involved. But I will say, from the moment the machine arrive at the studio goods inwards I was not allowed to touch the machine. I could tell others what to do to achieve what the director wanted, but not do it myself. I wasn't even allowed to fit a plug on to it (most appliances didn't have fitted plugs in those day's.

No, your answer is not right. Go back to the VAC thread and have another look. 

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@petlew

Wrong about Hoover?

I don't think so, we had one for years passed on to us from the Wife's mum via her Nan who had bought it in 1947. All we ever did on occasion was to replace the small external round rubber belt. And why did we finally get shot of it? We could not get rid of the smell of dogs hairs but by crikey, it was nearly fifty years old by then! 

As for the Unions, those that moaned most were non-members, and the first in line hands out for the increased pay we had negotiated. 

Never knock the Unions before first looking at history. Wink 

Highlighted
Community Veteran

I didn't say it was Hoover Ltd, but it was.

The company crest motto was IBAISAIC, the question was what does this translate as?

You're right about the bit of the "song" you quoted, but not the motto.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

No idea, what was it? Smiley

Highlighted
Community Veteran

It Beats As It Sweeps As It Cleans

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Well yes, that was the next bit, I did not think it needed the whole line as it was so well known? 

So much simpler those old adverts. 

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@petlew wrote:

It Beats As It Sweeps As It Cleans

Meanwhile, those of us with Sanitaire vacs from across the pond, they too beat as they sweep as they clean, but far more effectively with a VibraGroomerII brushroll with stiffened bristles, coupled to a motor with a metal fan that lifts the carpet right off the floor to really get the dirt up out of the carpet... Grin

(I do have a rebuilt-sometime-in-the-90s-with-generic-parts Junior though, just cos they're cute!!)

But as for the advert, I suppose some groups could say that the "something wrong" part is that the couple was a heterosexual couple, and not say a gay couple, or transgender couple, or furry couple, or, well, insert many fetishes here couples... Crazy2