Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dreadnought 2050: The Warship Of The Future

chuffchuff
Rising Star

Dreadnought 2050: The Warship Of The Future

Interesting article on Sky today:
http://news.sky.com/story/1544352/dreadnought-2050-the-warship-of-the-future
Can't help thinking of Beam me up Scotty!
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Dreadnought 2050: The Warship Of The Future

Interesting to see it still has a single barrel 4.5 inch gun mounted on the bow.... just in case the electronic systems fail... they can have a good old fashioned shooting match ! !  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Seem to have read somewhere; modern quick-firing 4.5 inch guns using modern state of the art ammunition and gun laying techniques are as effective as those 15 and 16 inch guns in the WW2 battleships.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The current UK Navy approach is the contents of the kitchen in one basket. It only needs the humungous aircraft carrier to do a bit of a Sheffield and we're up the creek without a paddle. The article is a lot of wishful thinking.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Nice design, shame about the cost.
Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: shutter
Interesting to see it still has a single barrel 4.5 inch gun mounted on the bow....

Yeah I can't help but think thats a bit silly too. You only need the enemy to be each side of the ship and you're in a fix. Why on earth have our ships stopped having multiple guns / canons?
I'm not surprised though by the development of this ship (or at least the development of the idea). Putin has been getting a little threatening lately and our MPs in charge never seem very worried by the threat - it's as if they know we have something else - more modern, smarter and more complex to back us up along with nukes. I suspect we have all sorts of other classified weapons / tech that the public have no idea of.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!