cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawn a line under

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Drawn a line under

I've just read an articles where someone refers to having "drawn a line under previous events". Who can remember having been affected by such practices by their employer?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Drawn a line under

Isn't it a general expression of closure? It doesn't refer specifically to employers AFAIK.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

One of the methods used by employers, mostly in the services side of things, was to require employees to sign in on arrival in an attendance book. Typically the book would be close to the supervisor's desk. At 8:30 am, or whenever was start of day, the office/shop supervisor would draw a red line under the entries on the page of the day in the attendance book. Anyone who was late, even by a minute, would have to sign in under the red line. Those entries after the red line would be subject to possible sanctions, such as docking of pay or other disciplinary procedures. In many organisation the books would be at the office where the people worked, so your time started when you arrived at the supervisor's desk not when you reached the business front door.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

When I worked in  power station control room I as shift engineer had the responsibility of recording all switching, starting and stopping other significant events. At the start of every shift there was a little ceremony when the outgoing engineer and other staff signed out and the incomers signed in. We also recorded permits issued and anyone working anywhere on the plant. There was a line drawn between the he shifts.  Smiley
Edit anyone coming on site to go into technical areas had to report to the control room.
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra