cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drain Cleaner

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Drain Cleaner

Kitchen sink & Shower were taking longer to drain so tried a few of the usual drain cleaning products with little success.

Speaking to a plumber who lives a few doors away he recommended Oracstar onestop.

Certainly works ok but I am amazed they are allowed to sell the stuff as it is 91% sulphuric acid !

Purchased from Amazon so came via the post !

Even more alarming are some of the things people get up to on you tube with this stuff.

12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Drain Cleaner

Many moons ago I worked with a bloke who had the bright idea of cleaning his badly stained toilet by putting a tin of caustic soda in the water.

The bog fell in half! 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Citric acid is another option, plus you can use it to make homemade andrews salts too mixed with bicarb and cream of tartar... Grin

Minivanman
Hero

Showers and sinks with their traps and bends are a magnet for hairs and yucky sticky slimey stuff. Fortunately these days most plumbing is of the push fit plastic type and if not cleared with any of those rather dubious products (think of the environment) then if access is not an issue, consider replacing all the pipes. You'd be surprised at just how much gunk is still stuck in them even after cleaning.   

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Use a full face visor, Elbow length rubber gloves.  Don't add water to the cleaner, always the cleaner to a greater volume of water. Never mix acid cleaner with water containing bleach, it will generate poisonous chlorine gas.

I'd prefer either Caustic Soda or Hydrochloric Acid (Spirit of Salts) depending on the blockage.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
harrym1byt
Rising Star

I have just had a similar problem, with the utility sink waste. It has suffered lots of abuse recently from brush washing, due to the fact we have been redecorating, so busy with other things - I put some drain acid down on Thursday. Instead of clearing the blockage, it escaped the trap into the unit below which was full of stored items. What a mess!

I ended up having clean that up and then pull the push fittings apart to clear the blockage. Had I more time available to me, I would have done that first, always a more thorough clean than drain clearers.

2u2me
Aspiring Pro

Caustic soda was always used as long as diluted correctly, you could touch the waste and feel it getting hotter (breaking down the blockage) due to health & safety they stopped using it . but the new products are similarly chemically based. 

Anonymous
N/A

2u2me wrote:

due to health & safety they stopped using it 

Who are 'they'?

I still use it and it is still easily available and cheap:

http://www.wilko.com/kitchen-cleaning-products/caustic-soda-500g/invt/1159440

2u2me
Aspiring Pro

No problems using it yourself, but companies now have health & safety regulations to protect their staff and how it is used. 

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

1 Tonne =  1000 Kilograms

$400 divided by 1000 = 40¢/Kg...

So pretty damned cheap, so long as you can flog the other 999Kg of the stuff to people... Funny

Community Veteran

nozzer wrote:

The bog fell in half! 

That reminded me of a workmate who thought it would be a great idea to put a handful of magnesium in a sink and set light to it.

Impressive blinding light for several seconds.

But then he made the mistake of trying to wash the ash away.

Hell of a bang and the bottom of the sink fell out.

Minivanman
Hero

My mate cracked his toilet pan when he dropped his Nokia down it!  Cheesy

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.