Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dr. Google

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Dr. Google

Dr. Google is useful as a quick reference, but you should always trust your G.P.
The Doctors at my GP Practise are all excellent, none are old and out of touch, they regularly attend Conferences and Medical Seminars, and I have complete faith in them and their judgement.
They are also all extremely pleasant, none are condescending at all.
There are also many related services available, top notch.
Just one problem, they are so highly rated, and expanding, the inadequate Car Park is full at certain times of the day.
However, Dr. Google is open 24 hours, 7 days a week, and getting an appointment to see your G.P. can be difficult.
Again, my local Practise, apart from the phone-in logjam at 8am most mornings, turning up at Reception will always get you an appointment on that day, sometimes almost immediately, as they build some slack into the system.
My main G.P., last time I saw her, in the morning, said she had several vacant slots that same day.....
Once, I spent a couple of fruitless days on the phone at 8am trying to get a non urgent appointment, phone was not answered.
Then again, I rang another day, and was answered within a couple of rings !
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2708921/Should-trust-Dr-Google-GP-A-quarter-faith-diagnosi...
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Dr. Google

A few years ago, I went into mine with a bad eye infection. I was told there were no spare appointments and the duty nurse wasn't in until the next week.
I asked to make an appointment for the next week and was told there weren't any appointments then either but if I came in on Monday they would try and book me something but couldn't guarantee anything. As I could only see out of one eye, I ended up going to the emergency eye bit of the hospital in the next town who sorted it out there and then.
That was the last time I've gone to my doctors.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Like most services, GP services vary from excellent to awful.
If you have a good GP you are lucky.
Fixes: 124

We have a pretty good GP service. The telephonists can be a bit offish at times but I've learned how to deal with them Wink
I would never put my 'complete faith' in any one doctor as mistakes can be made even with the most diligent of people. I have and will question the GP at the appropriate time and, I think, we have a better relationship for it.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

WTF
Grafter

Apparently, more and more people are challenging doctors, mainly with things they've read on t'interweb.  Unfortunately, many have read things that are totally irrelevant or flat out wrong so it's often more of an irritant than a help to doctors.
On the other hand, in the few cases where it prompts them to consider something they hadn't thought about: well worth it.  At least from the patient's point of view  Wink
Stranger
Grafter

Luckily my practice is excellent, a couple of weeks ago I feared that I had cellulitis in my leg (I've had it before so have a food idea of the signs), I rang at 8.00 or thereabouts and got an appointment with one of the Drs for 8.50, I was in to see him bu 08.40 and by 8.50 I was collecting my prescription for a weeks worth of termoxicillin from the dispensary, fabulous service from start to finish  Smiley
Fixes: 124

One thing about our surgery is they are often running late with appointments by 15 or 20 minutes yet if you are more than a few minutes late the doctor will refuse to see you.
I suppose if they are running too late I could refuse to see the doctor Crazy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: WTF
Apparently, more and more people are challenging doctors, mainly with things they've read on t'interweb.  Unfortunately, many have read things that are totally irrelevant or flat out wrong so it's often more of an irritant than a help to doctors.

Self-diagnosis is not good. You can do research on a condition or illness, but only after a qualified person has made the diagnosis.
It is very worrying some of the stories I've heard of people self-diagnosing and self-medicating. Some people won't go to a doctor because they think they've diagnosed themselves over the internet and they use leftover medication from another family member.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

Some people I know have only got the treatment/support they needed by self diagnosis and taking that to the Dr.  Hyper Mobility Syndrome being the key one :/