Community Veteran

Downing Street Petition

Please Sign.
Just some background,  2 Para alone have on this tour (April 200Cool sent
back over 50 casualties to the UK and many cannot be accommodated so
when all of the casualties from other battle groups are added to the
figure, how is ONE ward in an NHS hospital going to cope? It cannot
cope, the individual troops are sent home to recover relying on NHS
visiting services which themselves are over committed.
A lot more than 5000 names are needed for this petition and quite
cynically, Downing Street has put a time limit of mid-August for this to
be achieved.

Do what you can. Please copy the link below to confirm your signature on
the petition at the bottom of this email'
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Wounded/ ; the petition was created by Denzil
Connick and reads:
'We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Create a dedicated Military &
Veterans Hospital within the UK.'
You will then have to enter your details then click on the reply from No 10 to count.
8 REPLIES
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Downing Street Petition

All those casualties in Iraq must have been due to the "weapons of mass destruction".
I can't remember why the UK invaded Afghanistan - I don't recall any trouble from that quarter since Victorian times.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

I think the poppy byproducts from that quarter have killed more than the WMD from Iraq
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

The only WMD were those used by UK and USA.

geewizz
Grafter

A dedicated military hospital would exclude the public. Surely we don't want something which will become redundant? Or are we planning on continuing to invade other countries with our military?
I'm not a fan of these petitions. I feel that they are just too easy to sign. I doubt many people will make even the most rudimentary attempts to research the subject before clicking a couple of times. That's why I think these things are fairly worthless. Chances are that if you explained to someone that they would have to pay more tax to fund it (or take a reduction in pension/benefits) then they would remove their name.
N/A

I don't see why we would need a /special/ hospital for veterans.
If the NHS is good enough for the people paying the wages of the military, then I'm afraid that will have to do for veterans too.
If its not good enough, campaign time would be much better spent on getting the government to pull its socks up and get rid of the beurocracy (without creating more in the process like usually happens) and get the damn system working.
Can't support this petition, although I support the idea that our veterans do need a high standard of care - I just fail to see why it should be a higher standard than the rest of the country gets - fix it for everybody.
Community Veteran

It's not a higher standard James but a different standard.  When we had military hospitals before they had expertise in dealing with conditions that are not normally found in the general population. Their doctors/surgeons treated war injuries much better than in a normal NHS hospital.
Also, I seem to recall some animosity towards the military using the NHS facilities in the Midlands a while back. There were complaints they were taking beds that could have been used by non-military people.
itsme
Grafter

Don't the NHS hospitals used have military doctors and nurses on the staff?
A couple of years ago I was skiiing at the same time as the military medics were having their annual ski competitions, a 2 week exercise mostly funded by the tax payer. Most of our hotel was being used by them so had a chance to talk to some of the doctors.  One was stationed in a German hospital and I beleive that the arrangement for the use of the facilities the medic staff have to give some of their time to treat non-military patients.
He said the main difference was before they could do a whole barrage of tests and scans quickly and now they had to jusify the costs and wait in turn with other non-military patients.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the Military doctors do indeed work in NHS and private medicine as part of there training.  Where I used to worrk we often had them as placement in our Works medical