cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double vision

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Double vision

When watching TV for more than 20 minutes I get double vision, only happens when watching TV.

I wear glasses both for reading & distance and have regular eye checks, not sure what the figures mean 6/5 & 6/6.

If I am doing any other activity such as driving I never have that problem so put it down to the TV.

I did read somewhere about digital glasses used by some people who sit in front of a computer monitor all day, these glasses have some coating that reduces the level of blue light reaching your eyes.

Has anyone else on the forum experienced this or have any constructive comments to make.

And before someone asks, no I have not been drinking alcohol at the time.

21 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Double vision

Haven't a clue, but your mentioning of double vision has just made this start playing in my head:

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I wear glasses but about 6 months ago started getting headaches and double vision when using the laptop for a number of hours. The opticians that I've used for a number of years, (Specsavers), gave my next pair a blue tint on the lenses. I haven't had a problem since. 

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Champnet
Pro
Fixes: 1

Do you have the same problem at the cinema or theatre ? Unlike driving you’re staring at a fixed point.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I also have 2 pairs of Glasses Thumbs Up a set of varifocals that i use for general Use , but the other pair given by the optician is for time on the PC only as he said it makes a difference

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
ffox
Rising Star

One eye or both?

Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 7

@rongtw wrote:

... as he said it makes a difference

To his bank balance?

@gleneagles  6/6 (meters) or 20/20 (feet) is perfect vision.  6/5 means that you can read from 6 metres what the majority of people can only read from 5 metres.  The RAF requires its pilots to have unaided vision of 6/5 in each eye.

Community Veteran

@rongtw

@Pete11,

Thanks, that was the sort of information I was looking for, will make enquiries about investing in glasses with a blue tint next time I am due for a check.

Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

I don't know if this is any help, but I've had it.
This is what happened to me, in case it does.

I was getting the bus around 8pm at night, and started seeing two cars and two sets of road. Obviously knowing something wasn't right. I wear glasses, but I'm -1.75 strength being short sighted. I can get by without glasses just reading signs, etc. is difficult. Driving is out the window unless I wear glasses or contacts.

Didn't matter if I wore glasses or not. Had to cover one eye to see one object. Stayed indoors because with my sight in that condition it wasn't safe to even walk or for me to cross the road.

Lasted for around 2 days. No idea what caused it or why it went away.

Again before any cynics say "Sounds like you had a few too many at the pub", I hadn't been drinking. Roll eyes

I had a annual check up at my optician and mentioned it. He gave me a test last week and I've got one this week so I can let you know how that goes. The double vision was around 6 months ago and hasn't come back (not that I'm complaining).

I could have taken the lazy approach and assumed it is just a one off, but I did the right thing and mentioned it. Can't mess around when it comes to your eyes, can you?

For @gleneagles, I would recommend going to the optician if you have not already done so.

EDIT: I see you said you have regular checks, but did you mention what has happened to an optician? I mean did it occur after your last check and they don't know about it? If so I'd get yourself booked in and tell them what you have told us.

ffox
Rising Star

@Jonpe wrote:

6/5 means that you can read from 6 metres what the majority of people can only read from 5 metres.  The RAF requires its pilots to have unaided vision of 6/5 in each eye. 

Sorry to disagree, but as you might guess from my avatar I used to be an RAF pilot.   It varies according to the aircraft type - obviously you need better eyesight in a fast jet fighter than you do in a lumbering transport.

The absolute minimum is 6/12 uncorrected with 6/6 corrected.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3480981

One of the Valiant instructors at RAF Gaydon carried 2 pairs of glasses (this was before varifocals). He used one pair to read the instruments and one for looking out. We asked how he managed to carry out such smooth landings whilst wearing his short-range pair.  His reply was "when the altimeter gets close to zero feet I look at the co-pilot; when he winces I ease back on the control column"!

Community Veteran

@Alex

Thanks for that, fortunately it has only ever happened when watching tv.

As you say the thing to do is mention it next time I am at the opticians which in my case is every 6 months.

I have mild glacouma in one eye controlled by eye drops so the main test is for increasing pressure in the eyes which fortunately respond to the drops, no idea what the pressure figures mean but I understand if it gets above 30 then it needs treating but in my case the drops have kept it around 19.

All the other standard tests are performed and in particular for my angle of vision which is ok, I did ask about driving but was reassured that I was well within the necessary requirements.

Also informed my holiday insurance company but it did not result in any increase in premiums.

Car insurance, well not have informed them so far as I suspect they use any excuse to up the premiums which raises a interesting point should you notify your car insurance company about any medications you are on ? Does anyone know ?

Shep41
Aspiring Pro

I've suffered from double vision in the past but I managed to find out what was causing it
Fixes: 238

@rongtw wrote:

I also have 2 pairs of Glasses Thumbs Up a set of varifocals that i use for general Use , but the other pair given by the optician is for time on the PC only as he said it makes a difference

Same here. The fixed focals can be a bit of a pain remembering to switch when going out as, once or twice, I have sat in the car then wondered why everything is blurred. Walking around the house is fine, though.

Since using the fixed focals at the PC the number of headaches has greatly reduced. But I have noticed that when very tired my vision can get blurry no matter what pair I use but haven't suffered from double vision.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Champnet
Pro

A simple test my Optician performed : Look an object on the wall, could be as picture or light switch. Cove one eye with your hand, then the other, repeat in rapid succession. If the object moves then it could be double vision or just tired eyes.

Fixes: 238

@Champnet

Doesn't that always happen as each eye will see the object from a differect angle and it is the brain that combines the two images into one with depth?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still