cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double glazing salesman tactics - deal-breaker?

CX
Grafter

Double glazing salesman tactics - deal-breaker?

I requested a brochure from a large blinds and shutters company (not Hillary's). In the past few weeks I've ordered worktop samples and simply got sent the samples and compliments slip with contact number if I wish to discuss things, so I figured this would be hassle-free, and I could see how good their product is compared to the competitors.
This blinds and shutters company is a whole other ballgame, and I would probably describe them as wannabe double-glazing salesman. Since requesting this brochure, every single day, at least twice a day (including Sunday), I have had phone calls from them. Sometimes a number is displayed, others, it' comes up as "Private". All I wanted was a bloody brochure - not to be pressured into a sale by pushy salesmen in shiny polyester suits, and I only needed the brochure because their flashy website fails to give important details.
They've managed to rule themselves out of the running in my mind. Reading through comments about the company, they'd price themselves out of it anyway, again, because of the "start with 500% markup and go down to 200% markup" double-glazing tricks they apparently employ. Of course, you'd only get down to 200% markup after they'd had a phone call with 'the boss' (i.e. the talking clock). I should have known, when I saw that they were offering "buy 2 get a 3rd free for a limited time only if you fit before x".
Is this a deal-breaker for you too?
18 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Double glazing salesman tactics - deal-breaker?

I had an experience with Safestyle UK when getting quotes for double glazing.
A 4 hour visit from a young rep which included a high pressure sales call around 9pm from his 'boss' complete with abuse about my lack of decision making (I didn't accept his best price).
Shaking with fury I let the rep out and went to make a cuppa.
They didn't get my business and never would for anything at any price.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Those tactics would definitely convince me not to pursue any further.... I would also be inclined to pull the phone socket from the wall, and only plug it in again, when I wanted to make a call... !.. it would also lead me to  the B&Q website, to see what kind of shutters ( no relation to me  Roll eyes ) they had available !.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Absolutely a deal-breaker for me.
I will only deal with a company (preferably a local one) that gives me a decent price from the start.  Anyone telling me that they can only offer the price if I sign now gets 'shown the door'.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Fixes: 125

Even more so after the call to the 'boss' who offers an extra % off if you sign up now  Oh, don't we all feel so special Lips are sealed
They must think we are all mugs Crazy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I wouldn't deal with a company like this under any circumstances.  If they phone again I think I would warn them they are harassing me and if they contacted me again I would contact the police.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'd just tell them that you've ordered from someone else who gave you an honest price to begin with and didn't use high pressure sales tactics (and that's why you chose them).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
PitchBlack
Grafter

I did the same thing as Strat, got in touch with Safestyle about 4 years ago for a quote on double glazing, it didn't start off well for the salesman as he reversed into a lamp post outside my house  Grin, then when he came inside I expected him to start measuring and give me a quote. Instead he got out all his brochure's and proceeded to tell me why their windows were the best. I gave him about 3 minutes, then I stood up and said for him to leave. He asked why, and I said because all I want is a quote not a history of your company.
Fixes: 47

The young man told me he had to stay for at least 2hrs or he was in trouble with his boss.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
RichAllen
Grafter

This is why I'm on TPS and ex-directory on my landline, to stop double glazing etc ringing me up.
Besides which, anything like that needs to be done through the Housing Association, it's their property.
And even if I needed double glazing I wouldn't touch the likes of Safestyle UK with a 10 meter cattle prod after the negative publicity they recieved a few years back on BBC Watchdog.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Strat
The young man told me he had to stay for at least 2hrs or he was in trouble with his boss.

Tough luck, Kiddo.... vamos !  ..... not my problem...  Cheesy
RichAllen
Grafter

Yeah tough rocks mate, I don't do double glazing sales people, on thi bike lad.
And that's the polite version.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The "calling the boss", "urgent deal by date" and "will get into trouble with the boss" are all standard low grade selling techniques. if they have to resort to this type of selling tactics the products is inevitable poor or grossly over priced.
I actually enjoy this type of negotiation if I have some time free. Now I have grey hair and a few wrinkles - implying incipient senility it is even better. I always say no clearly at the start, but let them continue. I had one chap stay at my house for 3 hours trying to sell to me, I'd already said "no" clearly a few times at the start, but he carried on until eventually he got quite angry with me and accused me of wasting his time. He was then given a few home truths by me about his bullying techniques, his lack of sales ability and future prospects.
If they persist with sales calls ask them, "Who's time are you wasting your's or mine? I'm not going to do business with you or your company, Ever."
The other catch phrases to use are a blunt "No" or "Not good enough"; but the latter phrase tends to extend the agony. Never explain why it's "not good enough".
If you go to good quality sales negotiation training the instructors will warn strongly against tactics which annoy the prospect.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
RichAllen
Grafter

I have no patience though, if some sales thing rings me up, and I have to tell them more than twice "sorry, not interested" I tend to get mad,, tell them to P off and disconnect the call.
Only thing is I once had a sales call and did the above, 30 seconds later they rang back asking why the call was disconnected.. I give up.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

We get them come to the door sometimes.. "Are you the homeowner?" is the first thing they ask - no "Hello" or anything nice.
My reply?: "Tennant". They just turn on their heel and walk  Grin
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!