cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double Glazing

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Double Glazing

After 25 years the wooden window frames are starting to give up the ghost so decided on replacement double glazing (PVC)
No way did I want any salesmen (or women) in my home for hours giving me the usual chat about offers along with all the usual chat so took photographs of my windows and then added the sizes to the photos and after checking average prices on the internet went to one of the showrooms  of a main firm in the industry.
I Had a rough idea of what the cost would be but was surprised that based on the information I provided they could give me a final price there and then which included fitting, vat, locks and everything else. Obviously a surveyor had to visit to do exact measurements (yesterday) so it remains to be seen what the final job will look like when the work is done in a months time.
Must admit I like to have as little as possible to do with salesmen and with the stories you hear about double glazing it sounds like an area to steer clear of but if the work is done OK then perhaps it's an area where it's cleaned up it's act.
No doubt there are a few on this forum with stories about double glazing, just hope there are a few reassuring ones !!
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Double Glazing

When I was looking for DG (about 12ish years ago) I made the MISTAKE of asking Everest in for a quote.
I made it clear that I was NOT signing just looking for a quote. After 3 hours I nearly had to throw him out of the house, then I got phone calls for about the next week. Needless to say they did NOT get my business (the fact that they were nearly double the cost of who I went for in the end had something to do with it).
Most salesmen were happy to give a quote as I asked but I absolutely hate this pushy sales technique - sign now and get x% off only for tonight etc, load of horse manure that one.
Fixes: 47

I had exactly the same experience with Everest.
The salesman said he had to stay at least 2 hours to avoid trouble with his boss.
After over 3 hours of talk and demos he phoned his boss to close the deal, a heated 'discussion' ensued between us and he eventually hung up on me Cool
The initial price was £16000 which finally came down to £4000. If it had come down to £4 I would have told them NO!
Called into the local Yorkshire Windows office (recommended by friends and neighbours) and arranged a visit. The guy came and spent less than an hour and I placed the order and had them installed September 2010 and very satisfied so far.
I had a problem with the back door locking mechanism in the very cold winter which was quickly sorted under the 10 year guarantee.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
jmd
Grafter

It is worth asking around locally as quite often a local company can do a much better job than he big firms and if you get recommendations from neighbours etc then that is good.  Also if local you can always go and make a call on them if not happy!  I have had work done by a local person and been pleased with result.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Sounds like you did the right thing gleneagles.
Round about 1999/2000 I asked for a quote from some of the biggish names, and ruled out all except one, mainly because they insisted they wouldn't quote without both of us being present. Even the remaining one was fairly pushy - sign NOW for the best deal etc etc, but I kept insisting - I'll not be rushed, I'll think about it...
This went on for months, until in the end the original price halved, an extra window was thrown in, and a double glazed uPVC door. They did a very good job too!   Smiley
Can't remember any of the names.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I went to Everest (big mistake) and have had  reservations about uPVC double glazing ever since, we had white uPVC installed in the late 1980’s ripped the old oak windows, twenty five years later all the double glazing units are ‘blown’ and the uPVC is pitted and looks quite ugly. (How do you clean the moisture out from between the double glazing?).
Just had a quote for oak frames (the previous oak frames were put in a few generations back), am going to  ‘hinge’ the double glaze, not seal them (scandinavian style), so moisture can be cleaned out.
Community Veteran

When I had my DG done I did not go for the cheapest quote.  You get what you pay for.  Some frames are hollow and easy for someone to force.  Mine are reinforced to make them more secure.  I chose a local company having researched them and seen some o their work.
itsme
Grafter

Sorry but that's a load of rubbish. Whether a frame is hollow or has a metal core does not affect the security of the house. Windows have glass which will always be the weakest link no matter what strength the frame has. The main consideration on the frame is whether the glass is put in from the inside or outside. If from the outside the beading is easy to flip off and the glass removed.
The easiest way to break into a house is through a tiled roof, so have you got locks on the loft hatch?
Community Veteran

Quote from: jmdlp
It is worth asking around locally as quite often a local company can do a much better job than he big firms and if you get recommendations from neighbours etc then that is good.  Also if local you can always go and make a call on them if not happy!  I have had work done by a local person and been pleased with result.

I agree. Local is best. It's likely to be a smaller company, hence lower overheads, and they have a local reputation to keep up. If you're going to go for replacement, make sure that it's for an A-rated (energy) frame and glazing unit. I think it's compulsory now anyway, but not certain about that. We have 28mm panels with Pilkington low energy glass, and these have made a phenomenal difference to both noise and thermal performance. The frames are made by Synseal, which most installers can obtain.
http://www.synseal.co.uk/Home.aspx
Community Veteran

We recently had to change a couple of the sashes in our house to replace the 120 year old original box sashes (the sliding part of the window).  They were made to measure and glazed at a total cost of £85 each by a local firm, it seems to be better value than PVC.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
petertuson
Grafter

I prefer sticking to original windows and using local companies. My front windows are Crittal Steel frames and I put secondary glazing behind them. The frames are currently 60 years old and should easily go on for another 100. I have double glazed aluminium windows at the back.
How is double glazing the 'greener' option when you have to keep changing it every 20 years or so when a good quality or even bog standard sash window will last 150 years with some looking after and can be infinitely repaired? It seems we are trading heat loss for PVC - does anyone know what the sums are?
itsme
Grafter

If you got a south facing aspect  then you may find that the seals go after 15 years. Hence the reason you see more companies advertising for repairs to double glazing units. As a country we should think about fitting external shutters. These would protect the windows from the sun, keep the house cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
Community Veteran

Get quotes for frames with both Pilkington and Saint Gobain glass. SG is a quality vendor, look on most VW cars and that is the glass used. The glass is made in 2 UK factories too.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
petertuson
Grafter

I absolutely agree with external shutters.
Aluminium, non-insulated external shutters were built into the property we lived in when my parents were in Germany in the 70s. They could be closed and opened manually from the inside.
I have no idea what impact it had on our use of coal, but it made a massive impact on the warmth of the house. We used to close them around about dusk. Thinking about it, there are issues about emergency exit from the property - it would not have been easy to so through the shutters.
When we came back to England, the houses seemed so small and cold.