cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dots on windscreen

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Dots on windscreen

There is a lattice work of dots on the top  of my windscreen which  extend approximately  3 inches down  and about 10 inches across.
What is the purpose of these dots ?
I can find plenty about black dots running around the edge of windscreens but nothing about the above.
If the purpose was to shade the windscreen would they not extend all the way across ?
Any ideas ?
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Dots on windscreen

If you have a heated screen then these mark out an area that is unheated. So you can fit a gps or WHY there.
2u2me
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

You certainly glean things for forums, thanks Mc
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

My windscreen has a "dotty" area at the top... dead centre... where there is a gap between the sunshields/visors above the rear view mirror area... why can`t they make the visors fit that space, or re-design the mirror... it is most annoying when the sun shines through that area ... especially on a long straight road and the position of the sun through that area hardly changes...
also from that area.. there is a vertical black line, that comes 3/4 the way down the centre line of the screen .... don`t know what that is for... it is not a heated screen...
Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy
If you have a heated screen then these mark out an area that is unheated. So you can fit a gps or WHY there.
The front screen is not heated and the matrix is not smooth, I discovered this the other day whilst trying to attach a small camera with a sucker on to this area but without success, I did manage in the end using Nanotm's idea of using velcro tape.
So still unsure of the reason  this dot matrix is there
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I stand corrected then, but IF you had a heated screen then this area is usually ok to fit a gps in (I know as my old BT GPS unit wouldn't work anywhere else but there on my Mondeo with heated screen)
Community Veteran

Is it anything to do with reception for the radio? Maybe an aerial Undecided
Community Veteran

@artmo,
That sounds logical but the car has an  external ariel

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Have you asked the manufacturer? Surely they know what the dots are there for... Grin
RobPN
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: gleneagles
There is a lattice work of dots on the top  of my windscreen which  extend approximately  3 inches down  and about 10 inches across.
What is the purpose of these dots ?
I can find plenty about black dots running around the edge of windscreens but nothing about the above.
If the purpose was to shade the windscreen would they not extend all the way across ?

My vote goes for them being an 'extension' of the reason for the dots around the edge of the screen, because of the unshielded area not covered by the visors, or perhaps there's a gap above the rear view mirror.
2u2me
Aspiring Pro

Just "googled" this, think its called the ceramic bandhttp://www.nationalwindscreens.co.uk/repairs-replacement-useful-information.php
Community Veteran

Fixes: 47

With a car I had the windscreen had a micro thin metallised film which was supposed to help keep the interior cool on a sunny day.
It had such an area as mentioned in the OP clear of the film for fitting a GPS aerial/GPS device.
The screen wasn't electrically heated.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
PowerLee
Rising Star

Athermic windscreen / glass is what it's called.
My 206 has it fitted.
Fixes: 47

Thank you PowerLee Smiley....it was many moons ago.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation