cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doorstep salesmen

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Doorstep salesmen

Recent report in the Local press of an elderly couple being conned out of £3,500 by doorstep selling.
They were told the windows in their house could be treated with a substance that would make the glass self cleaning so they would save on the cost of a window cleaner.
Fortunately the police took action and those involved were jailed for 4 months, unfortunately their money was not recovered.
The same article did add that £3,500 would cover the cost of a window cleaner for many years so it's likely they were intimidated into having the work done.
I Understand there is a substance you can get and apply to glass yourself which reduces the amount of times the windows need cleaning but it's less than £100.
In short I believe ALL doorstep selling should be made illegal.
10 REPLIES
annerimmington
Grafter

Re: Doorstep salesmen

I was so fed up with numerous doorstep salesmen/takeaway menus/ Jehovas Witnesses etc that I got a sign printed and fitted on my gate stating "No cold callers (including Jehovas Witnesses) or takeaway menus"
Where I live we are plagued with all of the above - I probably used to get around 10 takeaway menus per week (until I put my sign up)!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Cold callers.. not keen on energy sales, sky, or other utilities but anything else is welcome if it might be interesting.
Junk mail is my pet hate along with leaflets from all and sundry all pleading with you for your money for something I'm more than capable of doing myself. Everything from window cleaning to computer repairs, we've had cards for it. I've even had scrap metal people at the door (and not long after my workmate vanished - although i got lucky via freecycle and got a better one).
Sales calls are what annoy me the most though. There is always someone somewhere ringing this number either for the last people who had it, the people before or they're ringing to sell something despite being on the TPS.
When I was little we used to have the peddlars come round with a tray of assorted bits and bobs that you'd never see in the shop. I used to like that as I'd often get a treat but they don't come around now. IMO despite being seen as beggars by many they were at least offering a physical item instead of invisible electricity, gas etc that comes down the same pipes/wires but is charged by varying companies.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: annerimmington
I was so fed up with numerous doorstep salesmen/takeaway menus/ Jehovas Witnesses etc that I got a sign printed and fitted on my gate stating "No cold callers (including Jehovas Witnesses) or takeaway menus"
Where I live we are plagued with all of the above - I probably used to get around 10 takeaway menus per week (until I put my sign up)!
I Have a sign up as well, not that it does me much good as I am sure they either can't read or put several leaflets through just to annoy me.
Fortunately I have caller display on my phone so it links to my address book to show who is calling.
Anything that displays private does not get answered as I figure if it's private and important they will leave a message to phone back !
Steve
Pro

You need a sign like this, With the dog to back It up!!

Or you need this...
198kHz
Seasoned Pro

Or...
Not young enough to know everything
Fixes: 47

Doorstep salesmen, has to be a difficult job.
I mean, how many doorsteps does a person need in their lifetime Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Cheesy
Haha Strat, very clever Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
community
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
Quote from: annerimmington
Anything that displays private does not get answered as I figure if it's private and important they will leave a message to phone back !

However, there is also a readout which says "withheld" and I also used to ignore these......BUT I eventually found that when our local Hospital
calls me, it also has  an id of "withheld" AND that they are not allowed to leave messages!!!! So what if ....?!
198kHz
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: community
BUT I eventually found that when our local Hospital
calls me, it also has  an id of "withheld" AND that they are not allowed to leave messages!!!! So what if ....?!

Same with our dentist. And they complain about missed appointments.  Roll eyes
Not young enough to know everything
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Basildon Cardiac only transmits the extension number, i.e  04071, its recognisable to us, but you also have to know the 01268 number associated with it