cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Door bell

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Door bell

We have a wired door bell that works off a mains transformer, I think the output is 8volts.
It works fine but as it is in the hallway we cannot hear it if the TV is on so I wondered if it would be possible to get a wirefree door bell and wire the push button into the existing door bell housing so that not only would the main doorbell ring but also the wirefree doorbell which could be put in the living room but out of sight.
In theory this should work but feedback on this idea would be appreciated.
13 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Door bell

adding a secondary circuit could prove to be problematic, the power output from the transformer would need to match the remote ringer circuit and have enough spare wattage for the additional power draw to operate both circuits, most consumer grade transformers are built with minimal capacity so they cant cope with the extra draw which can cause overloading and result in a fire.
your best bet would be to find a circuit that had both wired and wireless chime triggered by the single push button, or replace the chime unit with a louder one
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
pwatson
Rising Star

I've got a battery powered chime that is also a transmitter in the hall, with a wired switch, and a plug in wireless chime in my garden office.  Works well Wink
In your case, I think you need either a new chime unit one of these:
http://doorchimesuk.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=779
and one of these:
http://doorchimesuk.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_25_72&products_id=700
Lots of alternatives:
http://doorchimesuk.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=42
Other suppliers available etc Smiley
Community Veteran

Thanks for the responses and in particular the links, guess I will find what I want amongst those options.
Community Veteran

I'd use a relay activated at the same time as the current doorbell (no load on the doorbell) along with a cordless doorbell placed elsewhere in the house.
Visitor presses doorbell, current bell + relay activated which simulates the press on a wireless doorbell push and activates the remote doorbell elsewhere in the house.
Other advice - get a wireless doorbell that plugs into the mains - it is a pain replacing the batteries every 3-4 months. The bell push battery should last for a couple of years.
Community Veteran

I'd simply buy a new wireless doorpush and remote receiver. Seems the easiest way to solve the problem.
pwatson
Rising Star

Quote from: DomS
Other advice - get a wireless doorbell that plugs into the mains - it is a pain replacing the batteries every 3-4 months. The bell push battery should last for a couple of years.

I can't remember the last time I changed the batteries in mine - Probably in excess of 12 months at least Smiley
Community Veteran

The batteries in the bell unit of mine last 3-4 months max. I think the battery in the push button has been in there a couple of years.
Community Veteran

I get about 6-8 months out of my bell batteries but as you say the bell push one seems to last for ages Smiley
Fixes: 104

Quote from: DomS
The batteries in the bell unit of mine last 3-4 months max. I think the battery in the push button has been in there a couple of years.

maybe you have more visitors than the rest of us.. mine easily last 18 months.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 125

The batteries in our  doorbell (both chimes and button) have lasted over four years so far...

...mind you, it could have something to do with not fixing it up yet Cheesy Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

We gave up on new fangled electro magical thingamies and went for a proper bell mounted on a coil spring activated by a cord running through the house on pulleys. Now visitors and tradesmen can pull a bell handle to attract the attention of the backstairs staff.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Just one problem with the battery operated door bell push and that is it is not illuminated, a battery door bell push that was illuminated would get through batteries in days.
Why do I want an illuminated door bell, it's to be one up on the neighbours !
No just kidding, it's fairly dark where our front door is so it's essential callers can see the door bell.
@DomS,
Can you give me a few more details about the relay you have, is it wired into the main door bell wiring . Details about the specific relay would be helpful.
Thanks
Community Veteran

Not got one on the current doorbell (I'm purely wireless here) but did it with a 9 (or 12v) relay on my old house doorbell. Just a small relay that triggers (probably 9v best) - coil across the doorbell coil and the N/O terminals soldered to the cordless doorbell push.