cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doom and gloom

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Doom and gloom

For the faint hearted, this is only a story.
Around eighteen months ago, the Hubble space telescope began to calculate the approach of a distant giant asteroid. Preliminary estimations suggested that this 10 kilometre block of rock would strike the earth during the latter half of 2010. Observations by astronomers using the most powerful telescopes confirmed the Hubble calculations.
Major western governments decided to keep the information as a state secret but, put plans into effect that would ensure the survival of senior members of society, commerce and government. The predicted effects of the disaster were expected to equal or exceed the comet that exterminated the dinosaurs 60 million years ago, life as we know it would cease, 99% of life would be extinguished.
About a month ago, amateur astronomers began to observe the approaching asteroid, some correctly worked out its path to the Earth. One or two contacted the newspapers, which of course ran major stories on the coming event. The governments in the know attempted to deny that the stories were true but, the weight of evidence soon proved that they were covering up.
World wide panic ensued...
Question: you now know and believe that the world as you know it will cease, civilisation will be completely destroyed in a matter of weeks.
What would you do with the time you have left? 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
40 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Doom and gloom

Visit relatives and friends I haven't seen since the last funeral or before.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Is it coincidence that this is exactly the same size of meteor that saw of the dinosaurs?  Cheesy
I think I could live quite comfortably off of tinned food and burning the detritus of our civilisation to keep warm. Grin

Community Veteran

carry on regardless and enjoy whatever's left while looking forward to the big event.
Lurker
Grafter

I'd be very cross that I wasted all weekend packing stuff into boxes so I could move house...
Community Veteran

On reflection, I suppose its a bit like asking a terminally ill person that knows time is very short for them. My Mum was in this situation, after a quite brief period of panic, became very calm remaining so until she slipped into a coma several months later. There will always be exceptions, but I suspect most people will accept their fate stoically and largely carry on regardlessly to await their fate.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

I'd be annoyed I'd wasted time repairing and painting b..... window frames!
Quote from: Strat
Visit relatives and friends I haven't seen since the last funeral or before.

I doubt I'd bother with that, you'd probably meet in the "here-after", and if there isn't one, who'll give a ....
It's not as though there'll be grieving friends and relatives left behind to mourn one's passing Shocked

I'd like to offer my belated apologies for offering a sensible answer to the OPs question Roll eyes Cheesy
N/A

I'd head for the most comfortable place to await impending doom - this would probably be my bed!
Community Veteran

I'd like to offer my belated apologies for offering a sensible answer

Accepted

Community Veteran

Perhaps I'm being over confident in my fellow humans but, I'm surprised nobody so far has picked up on the paragraphs that alluded to being one law for the rich or well connected, and the rest can go hang!

I didn't like to draw undue attention to your situation as a resident of the former group.
Community Veteran

Well yes of course, my future will be assured...
Petlew retires to the garden to dig up the Anderson shelter he knows is buried there.

They don't make Anderson shelters like they used to...........hopefully Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

I'd like to offer my belated apologies for offering a sensible answer to the OPs question Roll eyes Cheesy

Where did I say it wasn't a sensible answer (or any other answers come to that!). I was just saying that's not what I'd do and why  Roll eyes
Carrying on otherwise as normal, not bothering to look for Anderson shelters or the like, if/when it because absolute that doom was impending, I'd probably spend a few moments on the phone to one or two of the rich/privileged (such as the bank manager) and tell him where he could shove the asteroid  Shocked