cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doom & Gloom on chit chat

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Doom & Gloom on chit chat

I have been out and about over the past couple of days, and really enjoyed the sunshine, and blue skies, light "summer" breezes, and the beautiful english countryside. Full of NEW LIFE, as NATURE INTENDED,
The trees and bushes in the hedgerows along the country lanes, are turning green, as the new buds come out, now that the weather is warming up.... there are hundreds of bright yellow patches, of Daffodils, and anemones,... oh yes, and the dandelions too....really beautiful to see all the splendid colour.
Today, we went to visit a NGS garden, that is open for only two days in the year, one in April, (today) and the next one in September.... that too was a pleasure to visit. It was very big, about 6 acres, but divided up into smaller parts that had a "theme" to it.... there were daffodils, tulips,of all colours, and many other flowers in bloom, that I can`t recall the names.... they even had a few sheep with some lambs in one section.... a couple of rescued donkeys too..  Must have been about 200 people wandering around, some with small children doing a "round the garden quiz", chasing around, thoroughly enjoying themselves.... Picnics were allowed to be taken into one section, although there was a "Tea Tent", which served excellent home made cakes, and a really good cup of tea, or coffee....
Today, has been really enjoyable, and I came home feeling that life was good.....

BUT>>>>>>>>> then I came onto the chit chat forum,..... and every thread I have read, on here , has really made me depressed.
[Moderator's note by Thomas (Be3G): removed argumentative comment.]
14 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Doom & Gloom on chit chat

do your realize even a compost heap can sometimes if left to rot turn out nice
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Community Veteran

Thanks for the images Pierre, but no, they don`t really cheer me up....Chit chat used to be full of humour, and life, and wacky threads, and a couple of minor serious type, one`s too, but lately it has become the sole project of one member to spread doom and gloom amongst us all, on just about every thread going....
that member is now protected from "anti" comments due to the Trolls Charter now posted as a "sticky" on top of this section.
We are all well aware of the doom and gloom, and if we really wanted to, we could spend half our lives "researching " it as that member has often told us to do...... the other half of our lives would be spent posting it on chit chat.....
I have no doubt that I will get castigated by the mods for posting this, and even get banned. .... however, I am prepared to take that risk, to get chit chat back to how it used to be....
We don`t need doom and gloom thrust upon us on every subject that comes up in chit chat.....

Here is a summary of the Trolls Charter, as I see it......
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Board Conduct…..  Or…… A Trolls Charter…..
The mods have had a discussion between themselves.  Which is their duty.  However the statement they have issued via Be3G, under the title “Board Conduct….. Please Read”.....  Has some very disturbing content, which in effect has stifled the right to respond, and given the troll the excuse to post as many controversial posts as they like, knowing that it would be folly for anyone to disagree or argue against their point of view, courtesy of the above statements.
Whilst I agree with the general sentiments of the statement, and the reasons for posting it….. I would like to point out why I feel it has turned into a Troll`s Charter.
It has been commented by some outsiders in the past that the most active posters in [General] Chit Chat have created an atmosphere reminiscent of a clique. Recent happenings have, unfortunately, further cemented such an idea.

By the very nature of  the fact that they are…..“the most active posters”… one can conclude that there is a clique…. However, I think most of those deemed to be “the most active posters” would not agree with that assumption, and indeed would be upset by the statement.
3. The value of saying nothing is worthy of consideration.

This is the start of the “Trolls Charter”….
And this is the “action call to the trolls”
one will occasionally find something one dislikes. In such circumstances, it is generally better to merely ignore the source of one's displeasure than to engage in activities that create a nasty environment for all.

This next sentence, however, seems to be superfluous, as the “general inference” to be gained from the overall statement  (if you don`t agree , or don`t like the post….. Ignore it….. Say nothing)….precludes any “discussion” of the subject
Please therefore respect one's fellow forum users by allowing them to carry out discussions without being disrupted by unwanted (and often unwarranted) input.

Para 5. States the obvious…..
5. The forum rules are in force on this board.

And then brings in the “heavy gang” to  “enforce the rules in a more strict fashion”.
However, in light of the fact that this board is becoming increasingly anarchistic, the moderators will henceforth be enforcing the rules in a more strict fashion, paying particular attention to the rules concerning trolling, personal attacks and arguments.

In the Penultimate paragraph, is a sentence, which, once again, re-ionforces the  “Trolls Charter”……
We would therefore like to encourage everyone to stay calm and simply ignore something of which they don't approve, rather than helping to engender the unfortunate situation in which Chit Chat now finds itself.

If you put all the reasons “against” posting on items/subjects that you don`t like, mentioned in this statement, which can result in  “upsetting “ the original poster, then you have not got a “forum”….
From Wikipedia

An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site
People participating in an Internet forum may cultivate social bonds and interest groups for a topic made from the discussions.
;
A sense of virtual community often develops around forums that have regular users. Technology, computer games and/or video games, sports, music, fashion, religion, and politics  are popular areas for forum themes

On the one hand, the mods are not against “discussion”, but on the other hand, are stifling that “discussion” by saying “if you don`t agree with the poster, then say nothing….”….. Hence no discussion….. Hence Troll Charter…..

As mentioned above, in my opening statement. I am in general agreement with the reasoning behind the mods statement. and support their cause to “keep the members in check”.  One , not so obvious, way to keep members in check, should the situation warrant it, would be for the mod(s) to send the “offender”  a Personal Message, advising him/her , where, and what, they are doing wrong, and warn them  that if the said “offence” continues, then a second warning will be issued….. If the offence still continues, then the mods can use their powers to ban the offender for the “usual” period of time… or as long as they see fit…
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Just to cheer you up a bit - I read this column in the Sunday Times http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/rod_liddle/article7100992.ece and the following cheered me up
— A handyman, Peter Aspinall, attempted to saw off the rotten branch of a tree in a hotel garden near Bolton, but made the mistake of leaning his ladder against the branch rather than the trunk. He ended up in hospital for 10 days and is now suing the hotel for compensation. The gist of his complaint is that he should have been warned not to be so stupid.
+ Picture the scene: a cave near Tora Bora, September 10, 2001. Osama and his mates are excited; they’ve been planning this for years. The fridge is stocked with non-alcoholic lager, there are fundamentalist cheese’n’chive chips. Look, here’s the satellite man to make sure they can watch events live.
“Oh dear, oh dear, Mr Bin Laden. Your dish is pointing the wrong way. It’s pointing towards Jalalabad — you need it to point towards Qom.”
“Well can’t you change it?”
“More than my job’s worth. You need an engineer — I’m not qualified, not allowed to clamber on cave roofs. Also your receiving box needs upgrading and the cabling to your lounge isn’t safe.”
“Well can’t you send someone else?”
“Certainly, sir. I’ll need to rebook it as a new job. Someone will be out to sort it between 0900 and 1700 on November 9. Have a nice day.”
Last week it was revealed Al-Qaeda were unable to watch the only thing they’d bought a telly for; they couldn’t get the satellite feed installed. Maybe they headed down the pub. Somewhere in Tora Bora, there’s an unmarked grave with a satellite engineer lying in it.
Loombucket
Grafter

I couldn't agree more with you, Shutter.  this place used to always be good for a laugh, and when i revisited it recently and saw which way it was going I tried to reverse the trend by injecting some humour into the threads - largely to no avail.
Two points I would like to politely point out to the mods, though:-
"It has been commented by some outsiders in the past that the most active posters in [General] Chit Chat have created an atmosphere reminiscent of a clique. Recent happenings have, unfortunately, further cemented such an idea. "
Knickers.  I'm one of the least regular posters around here and find that when I do post I'm accepted as much as any of the regulars - it's not who you are, it's what you post that matters.
"The value of saying nothing is worthy of consideration."
Ditto.  I've had one regular poster PM me and thank me for my attempt to lighten things up, telling me also that she no longer posts herself due to the changed nature of the forum.
Now, I may be castigated for raising these points and if so I'll take my lumps but stand by these comments - someone has to make them and sooner it was a comparatively infrequent poster than one of the regulars.  This forum is called "Chit-chat" for a reason and the mods need to remember it, I think - keep it light-hearted, people, please.
Now, to that end, has anyone noticed that my favourite political party has published it's manifesto today?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/england/8628230.stm
I'm thinking of forming an alliance with them...  Cheesy
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Steve sit's on the bench pondering what MUST be done to cheer thing's up around here?! Somehow i dont think a google fight's going to cut it this time!!
Community Veteran

some people might like the floating bikes.  what i'd like to see is thousands more pedicabs/vans around london.  they'd be great for shopping trips and making small local deliveries.  
pierre_pierre
Grafter

dont want to cross post ,but I said on Jelv quiz thread that I am doing a postal Vote for Lord Sutch as the London Lord Mayor
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

After my tirade in another recent thread, it won't surprise you to know I'm with shutter and loombucket. Practically every thread started in Chit Chat recently is brought to a shuddering halt.
A clique implies a group that actively tries to keep newcomers out. I think by the number of new members who periodically join in and are effusively welcomed by the "clique" (if that really exists here) rather gives the lie to that, it is not the clique that is deterring them from returning it is the inane (def:  senseless) postings of one member, and frankly who can blame them. Trying to disguise them and make them shorter doesn't really change their nature.
So my ban starts when?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
WildRose52
Grafter

I dont see any doom and gloom around here  (Rose looks down the thread list   Roll eyes)
Oh here`s my two threads :
The everlasting cheeseburger (lol)
Interesting downloader`s survey

(Rose concludes those not D & G news  Grin)

Whilst all the news sources are full of news about that volcano....
leading 2 other members to be kind enough to post about it.....
I did add this further thread to the volcano topic :
Volcano - Food chain and health issues (if any)

(Rose continues looking for the doom and gloom  around here   Smiley)  > > >  >> >   >>>>  must be somewhere  > > > >    Roll eyes
> > > >  maybe I`ll spot it later    Grin

HUMOUR :

The Pope And A Sailor Both Pass Away On The Same Day, And In A Mix Up, The Pope Goes To Hell And The Sailor Goes To Heaven.
So God Calls Down To Hell And Says, "lucifer, I Think We Have A Mix Up Here. I've Got One Of Yours, And You've Got One Of Mine.
So Why Don't You Just Send The Pope Up, And I'll Send You The Sailor."
So The Pope Begins To Float Up, And Halfway He Meets The Sailor. "how Ya Doin?" Says The Sailor. "glorious," Says The Pope,
"when I Get To Heaven I'm Going To Walk With St.peter, Talk With God, And Visit The Virgin Mary."
Well The Sailor Begins To Laugh Out Loud.
The Pope Asks "what's So Funny?"
The Sailor Cooly Replies, "sir, I Think Your About 3 Hours Too Late."

Community Veteran

There`s none so blind as those who cannot see.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

do you know Gerry that one of those "Happy" threads has a DM Rubbish quote and most of the others were contradicting, but I was mad enough to post
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Jim:post
This thread is going exactly the way the moderators post was trying to stop.
I am locking this thread and any further posts which are specifically aimed at an individual poster will be removed and we will seriously consider a temporary ban on the perpetrators if it continues.
You may not like a certain posting style and it may not suit your idea of the type of posts which should be in Chit Chat but this is a wide ranging board where posts on a multitude of topics are acceptable and expected.
Remember you don't have to read or respond to every post or thread.
Please take this warning to heart as I really wouldn't want to take further action.
Community Veteran

Being slightly naughty here in replying to a locked thread:
I'd just like to mention that the ‘Board conduct’ thread was written by me, so I ultimately take responsibility for what it says and the way it is worded – although I would add that all of the other moderators endorsed it before I posted it. Therefore, if anyone has any issues with what I wrote – and clearly some of you do – can I please ask you to PM me and I'll happily discuss things with you. It seems to me that some aspects of the post have been misconstrued and I wouldn't want it to stay that way.