cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Donate an Organ

Community Veteran

Donate an Organ

Organ donors are needed in ever increasing numbers and the government plans to ask anyone applying for a bus pass, paying council tax or getting married will be asked whether they want their organs to be donated if they die.
Organ Donor
If you haven't registered as a donor yet you can do so here.
48 REPLIES
Fixes: 121

Re: Donate an Organ

Do they still send out organ donor cards with driver licenses these days?
I always thought that to be a bit odd - like tempting fate Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

You get a request to sign up when you apply for a licence but dependent on age that doesn't happen that often.
In Wales they are trialing a scheme whereby everyone is assumed to be a donor unless they opt out. This seems a good idea and it will be interesting to see how the trial goes.
Community Veteran

It's important that anyone who signs up for organ donation, makes sure that their family members are aware of their wishes (also a living will is advisable).
I read a case story recently where a someone was on the organ donor register, but the family did not want their organs to be donated.
Community Veteran

Yes, there was a radio discussion on this during the week and it was suggested a family meeting was held so all parties knew the individual's wishes and agreed with them.
WTF
Grafter

I don't understand why they can't just make it an opt out system.
Everyone is assumed to consent to donating their organs on death unless they deliberately choose not to.
Few people would actually object to their death saving lives but most are too lazy to do anything about it.
Wherever opt out has been tried, it has vastly increased the number of donors.
Community Veteran

It will be interesting to see how it goes in Wales.
Especially considering that they will in effect be supplying organs for the entire UK NHS.
Community Veteran

Quote from: WTF
I don't understand why they can't just make it an opt out system.

As billnotben has said, it will be interesting to see how the Welsh plan goes. There is still the possibility that even with this opt-out provision your relatives could block your wishes. I think this needs looking at. 
kmilburn
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
Do they still send out organ donor cards with driver licenses these days?

No, but as mentioned by Artmo, they ask the question when you apply for the license.
If you answered yes,  if you look at the back of the photocard, you should find 115 in the codes section.
TORPC
Grafter

Already registered Wink
Both SWMBO & I registered, when we were courting

Community Veteran

I don't think it's necessary to carry a donor card any more. I think a hospital can check on the internet if you are registered or not.
Community Veteran

There's a central NHS organ donor register that doctors check.
I suppose one advantage of carrying the card is that your family would then know your wishes.
Community Veteran

As we get older some of our organs may not be able to be used and eventually this will apply to all our organs.
I heard about someone in this situation so they then planned to donate their body to medical science. The donor register doesn't seem to deal with this. Is there a site that covers this does anybody know?
Community Veteran

I think you need to contact your local medical school. 
Being on the organ donor list does not cover donating your body for medical research/training purposes.
Fixes: 121

There's been some interesting threads before; here and here
There were many, me included (although I didn't explicitly say so), who'd prefer an opt-out rather than an opt-in solution. I wonder how many have changed their minds since then. I haven't, maybe I will as time goes on but, for now, I would rather opt in by choice.

Edit: another thread here covering driver licenses.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still