cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't you just love the Tory Government.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Don't you just love the Tory Government.

@Luzern 

I think maybe they were doing some site maintenance?

jab1
Hero
Fixes: 19

@Minivanman - nope, they were doing site destruction. as we can see. Cheesy
John
Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman wrote:

Well with all due respect to the religious views which I think you hold, surely you are not suggesting we should divorce them from politics and by association economics, besides, who was it that was supposed to have turned over the tables of those money lenders on the steps of the temple, and said his kingdom 'outranked' in heaven that of Caesar on earth.

God Bless America in the US, Gott mitt uns in Prussia, and God is my Right in the UK. Blimey, the Japanese fought directly on behalf of a God - and the guy was still alive! 

Religion has been the cause of more war and conflct as much if not more than anything else I can think of, and call it misuse or hijacking if you like @Luzern, but I'm not sure the Armies of past Popes and those Crusaders would agree with you, along with the Taliban forces in Syria and beyond just to place it into a modern context.

There have been three debates fairly recently on the subject of 'Is Religion a Force For Good In The World' - have you seen any of them? This was one of the first ones I saw which as it happens and with no wish to fortend, is about the Catholic Church.

The nasty side of being human, putting up a fence up and saying this land is mine and by the way, my God is greater than yours who is rubbish, and wrong anyway. 

Oh, and the Salvation Army, what was all that about? Wink

@Minivanman In most cases, when someone says, “with all due respect”, I suspect “due” to be a euphemism for “absolutely no”, but you, being a member of this civilized  group, I cannot ever think that.

I definitely agree; one can’t divorce oneself from politics, in the sense of the base mainlining of politic, <viz. Old French politique ‘political’, via Latin from Greek politikos, from politēs‘ citizen’, from polis ‘city.>

We have to be politically aware, as I believe was Jesus Christ in his humanity. He was not a politically slanted activist! Political awareness does not have to be linked to a party, though.

Much folk and jingoistic religious belief is caused by misunderstanding or misdirection and misinterpretation e.g

<Matthew 5:38-40 King James Version (KJV)

38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:

39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.>

As to the table turning incident, that was not political, just righteous anger at the corruption.

All the God bless Americas et al, at some level say little that is wrong, that is until the underlying meaning becomes, “and curse the others”.

Is it all the fault of religion that prejudice and strife exists? No! It arises not from religion(s), but ignorance, at the benign, to willful misinterpretation for particular ends.BTW I missed the debates.

There we are: you will disagree. So be it. 

OTRandom thought!

The time Jesus was on Earth the Jews were straining against Roman rule. You could say there were yearnings for Israelexit; they wanted their sovereignty back. However, action against Rome’s might would have been tragic and horrific. Whatever happens with Brexit, just be thankful the so called EUSSR is nothing so brutal.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
VileReynard
Champion
Fixes: 17

Well with all due respect etc... A quote from a favourite holy book is no substitute for a reasoned argument.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

@Luzern 

"In most cases, when someone says, “with all due respect”, I suspect “due” to be a euphemism for “absolutely no”, but you, being a member of this civilized  group, I cannot ever think that"

Well lacking an alternative expression you should be able to "think that", otherwise what are we if we cannot say "absolutely no" whilst respecting in all sincerity the view of another. What if any would be the point of a forum such as this?

For the moment and at this early hour, I cannot recall if it originated with either Hall or Volatire who said something along the lines of 'I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend your right to say it'.

Agree to disagree as they say. Thumbs Up

Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

@VileReynard  My quote was not to advance an argument; more to illustrate how Christ, as one on whom a religion was founded, thought.

@Minivanman Good morning,Grin

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

@Minivanman wrote:

For the moment and at this early hour, I cannot recall if it originated with either Hall or Volatire who said somthing along the lines of 'I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend your right to say it'.

Agree to disagree as they say. Thumbs Up

Wikipedia: In The Friends of Voltaire, Hall wrote the phrase: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  The French Wiki page on Voltaire ascribes the saying to Hall.

However, https://quoteinvestigator.com/2015/06/01/defend-say/ conclude:

In conclusion, many researchers have attempted to find the quotation in the works of Voltaire, but it has never been located. Evelyn Beatrice Hall probably crafted the statement which was disseminated in her 1906 work titled “The Friends of Voltaire”. Hall’s words memorably and gracefully reflected her conception of Voltaire’s viewpoint.