cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't you just love the Tory Government.

Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

Re: Don't you just love the Tory Government.

A lot of folk do not recognise that, at the same time the triple lock was introduced, the Age Allowance was static, and so has been abolished.

The better off pensioners therefore lost out. I think they are those calling for its demise.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

@Luzern 

Probably Telegraph readers after having noted such headlines  as "Inflation-busting pay rise for pensioners as triple lock delivers.." along with "special protection pensioners enjoy..."

Maybe we should have a 'Poke a Pensioner' week. Sounds like fun for the resentful. 

John_Hull
Aspiring Pro

The Trouble is.jpg

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Problem with the world, not just the UK. Sad

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@shutter wrote:

Yeah,   and the choice between what we have....  and what a Corbyn government will do to the country, is terrifying...

This.

I don't like the way the tories have behaved in recent years, Labour under Corbyn seems to be looking like an even more dangerous party and the Lib Dems have already sold us all down the river.

David Cameron was psychotically evil towards those at the bottom, driven by twistedly evil George. Theresa Maybe is completely clueless about everything and has no real guts other than to deliver the softest brexit she can in order to satisfy her inner remoaner. Some of her policies such as the rental fee ban were bang on and totally what this country needed to restore some fairness but has she delivered that yet? - Last i heard it was still just a headline.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Regarding that rental fee ban @7up according to one money advice site, the government has said it is "unlikely to be introduced until after spring 2019" - and yet it's end was announced in the 2016 Autumn budget. Crazy2

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

Yes, much of the 'autumn budget' as you call it usually comes into effect on 6th April the following year, tax adjustments etc.  They have simply moved the budget from mid-March to the previous autumn.  Having said that, the implementation date of any legislation can be set at any reasonable date.  Then there is the 'clever' trick of announcing large sums (or percentage increases) for this that and the other but spread over several years, or deferred.  For example "Another £1 billion for the NHS over the next 10 years", or "from 2022" is read by most people as just "another £1 billion for the NHS".

VileReynard
Champion
Fixes: 17

Will this budget-thing be a stupid Brexit budget or a sensible Remain budget?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Well stupid or sensible, its going to a Hobson's choice Brexit budget the way things are going.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Actually had a letter about it this morning telling me all about it and that I was not affected however, I may be once the Mrs reaches that changed retirement age some eight years after she was once eligible.

Will there be a way around it? Possible I suppose to defer claiming it until a much later date in order to avoid losing that pension credit.

We'll cross that bridge and do the sums if when and if we get there but crikey, the way this government operates does leave a bad taste in the mouth. 

VileReynard
Champion

A divorce in about 8 years time would allow each of you to receive your full entitlement. Grin

It would probably require you to buy a second house or something, though.

Alternatively, have you considered moving into a home for the aged / home for the unwanted?

BTW I encountered another Inland Revenue shabby trick:-

Even if your state retirement date is midway through the tax year, they will tax your pension income as if you had received your pension from April 6th, leaving you to reclaim the overpayment of tax in the following tax year.

So in my case, I will have given the Government a "loan" of £300 by next month.

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

@VileReynard, the Chancellor did say that the tax reductions in the budget would only apply if we left the EU with a deal.

Pensions are treated as income so it shouldn't matter when you start receiving it, just like it doesn't matter when your salary goes up during the year.  I doubt you will be allowed to defer your (or your wife's) state pension in order to continue receiving benefit.  If that is allowed, it needs to be stopped.  If you defer the full basic state pension for a year you effectively have some £8,500 on which you are earning 5.8% interest.  Should the rest of us, including those on minimum wage, be paying tax in order to support you just so you don't have to touch your savings?

As I understand it, the state pension (including the first payment) is paid on a different day depending on what bracket the last two digits of you NI number falls in, so that some people have to go without an income for longer than others after retiring.  Now that's unfair!

VileReynard
Champion

If you defer your pension, but sadly kick the bucket, you get nothing.

If you are on a minimum (hourly) wage you will need to do a fair amount of overtime, if you want to pay some taxes.

@Jonpe Just for a laugh, state pension is paid every 4 weeks, so that it appears in your bank account on a different day of the month (excepting February & March, unless it is a leap year! ).

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Oops. Unable to delete this blank section Embarrassed

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@VileReynard 

I'm already in receipt of my state pension and have been for a number of years, it was the Mrs and her pension we were thinking of deferring and given she is a good bit younger than myself I don't anticipate her bucket being kicked any time soon. No certainties in life we know, but if it were to happen then nothing changes as far as my own pension is concerned or that pension credit - although no doubt the DWP will try and find some way to winkle me out of it.