Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't you just love it.....

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Don't you just love it.....

Don't you just love it when fellow baby boomers bang on about how unfair and greedy we are as the younger generation struggle to find a home - especially those like the writer of this article and one who is well heeled to say the least.

The response from readers is quite interesting.

Me? the Guardian banned me from commenting months ago otherwise...... grrrr.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/apr/29/millennials-struggling-is-it-fault-of-baby-boomers-i...

PS. The lady writer is looking good for a seventy year old don't you think? Wink

Capture.PNG

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

Re: Don't you just love it.....

I`m an old guy...  been struggling for years...  still struggling...  haven`t a clue what a "baby boomer" is   and what the heck is a "millenial" ?   

it`s not easy being old .... Cry

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Born the same year as the war ended I recall all the people we knew had very little, lived in a rented house and struggled to keep up with the cost of things, most people were married ( I think) so it was usually the man who was seen as the breadwinner but some women did work in addition to looking after the house.

When everybody's in the same situation it's amazing how much people were willing to help each other, simply because they had gone through similar experiences themselves.

No question about it the 60's changed many things, it certain changed attitudes and some older adults were very much opposed to those changes, which were not always for the good.

What I find strange is that some countries that were in a even worse state than us after the last war have done so well ie: Germany.

Perhaps there are lessons to be learned if we compared our situation to others and ask what are they doing and do we need to do something similar, to continue on our present course will in my opinion result in civil unrest in the near future

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Well Germany (and Japan) lost most of their heavy industry which was replaced by us I believe and the Americans under some post war plan the name of which I escapes for the moment - but no excuses, and both nations to be fair have worked hard and pulled themselves up by those bootstraps, but it did leave the UK with some rather outdated steelworks for example - and the rest, along with our capacity to build ships is as they say history. 

Turbulent times, but it does irritate when the older generation are blamed for the present housing situation. 

RobPN
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@Minivanman wrote:

Well Germany (and Japan) lost most of their heavy industry which was replaced by us I believe and the Americans under some post war plan the name of which I escapes for the moment -

The Marshall PlanWink

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

That's the one Thumbs Up

Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 7

Germans were almost phobic about inflation after their experience in the interwar years, therefore making sure the DM retained its value.  This in turn made it easier for Trades Unions to enter into long-term agreements resulting in far fewer strikes than we had.

One thing I kind of admire the Germans for is the way they, in the space of less than eleven months, were able to 'adopt' over 16 million poorer 'cousins' at reunification, even giving them a very favourable exchange rate for their Ostmarks.  Had we been in a similar situation, we'd probably still be discussing which politically correct term we should use to refer to the East Germans, talking about an orderly transition, which quango should oversee it, how many members of each political party should be involved, which Lord should lead it etc.

The downside to reunification: Angela Merkel!

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

How did you know somebody was from East Germany? (sorry, the German 'Democratic' Republic Wink)

They still used Tippex on a computer screen! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Minivanman wrote:

Me? the Guardian banned me from commenting months ago otherwise...... grrrr.

If only the mods on this site took their role as seriously.