cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't underestimate the healing effect of a bag of peas!

Bluesplayer
Grafter

Don't underestimate the healing effect of a bag of peas!

Hi
Big running ethusiast in my time and still am - eh not god but health willing.  Running around 50-70 miles a week last year but started to develop a nasty hip pain.  Got worse and worse until I had to call it a day with regard to running as my leg and hip became too sore.  Stopped running for close to 3-4 months but the pain never went away.  Thought my hip had gone entirely as I am 52.  Tried hot water bottles which was probably the worse thing to try but then I tried ice packs.  The ice packs were small and seemed to help a little.  I picked up from somewhere or other that frozen peas were good for providing a cooling effect so I got some.  The ice packs used to warm up after an hour or so but the peas stayed cold for hours.  I could go to bed with a large pack on my hip and it would still be very cold when I woke up.  After just a few days of this my hip started getting better.  After a few weeks of this my hip was ok again so it wasn't a permanent injury at all!  Can't wait to get back running again once the weather breaks.
Tip:
Wrap the bag of peas in a freezer bag or something and tape up the ends as the uncovered bag of peas is quite easy to puncture with the associated effluence and stink!
7 REPLIES
thejudge
Grafter

Re: Don't underestimate the healing effect of a bag of peas!

The novelist Terry Pratchett used to suffer from terrible pains in the arm and wrist when he did book signings (expecially as, being a very popular writer, his book signings often went on for hours). He found exactly the same solution to the problem as you have.
N/A

Well I'm glad that this simple remedy worked for you but I have osteoarthritis and find that the only thing that eases pain is to keep warm and keep moving.
My job involved being out and about in all weathers and when it was winter my joints and limbs used to feel like they were encased  in concrete.  Sad
I use a heated wheat bag and it soothes the muscle spasm. Couldn't cope with ice packs.
Community Veteran

Sounds like Bluesplayer had inflamed his joint and cold packs are very good for this.  My Physio always recommends a pack of peas in these circumstances.  I often ask her if she has shares in Birds Eye Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

When I had painful tennis elbow (tendinitis) I was advised to use alternating hot and cold packs (hot: heated -very warm really- in microwave, cold: the ubiquitous frozen peas wrapped in a tea towel to avoid freezer burn, always to begin with the cold pack) Didn't work though for more than ten minutes of relief.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I also have a TENS machine which is very useful.  You just connect the electrodes as shown in the instructions and then pass an impulse to the area .  They're quite effective and can be bought relatively cheaply. Amazon and Ebay have a good selection.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

But get Doctors permission before using a Tens machine.  They should not be used by people with heart conditions
Bluesplayer
Grafter

Well I'm glad that this simple remedy worked for you but I have osteoarthritis and find that the only thing that eases pain is to keep warm and keep moving.

I feel for you.  Really gets you down when you can't shake off an injury.  Slowly wears you out.  You must be made of strong stuff!
Regards