cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't take any [Censored] if your flight is cancelled.

madswitcher
Aspiring Pro

Don't take any [Censored] if your flight is cancelled.

Hi folks,

I read an interesting article in last Monday's (May 10th 2021) Times newspaper (as one does) - the Law Report, which is always something to take note of as it usually sets a precedence.  This one concerned an airline cancelling a flight due to a pilot being ill: the airline claimed that this was "extraordinary circumstances" and thus, passengers were not due compensation.

The Court of Appeal disagreed as a pilot being ill was part of the normal running operations of an airline, just like maintaining its aircraft.  Interestingly though, the article states that the applicable EU regulation - (EC)261/2004 - formed part of domestic law by virtue of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018.  This was confirmed by Lord Justice Coulson.  Further, since it is aimed at consumer protection, the law should be interpreted from the consumer's point of view .NOT the airline's'.

If you Google the above regulation, it reads very simply and explains consumers rights in the case of airlines cancelling or delaying flights.

If anyone is planning flights for a holiday abroad its probably worth printing off a copy to take with you (its only 3 or 4 pages) in case anyone gets a bit shirty if things go wrong at the airport.

Regards

Mike

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter in title edited as per Forum rules.
10 REPLIES 10
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Don't take any cr*p if your flight is cancelled.

Not flying anywhere m'self this year @madswitcher but good advice and thanks for sharing.

As for everybody now going around hugging each other, what's all that about?

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
Champnet
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 7

@madswitcher wrote:

If anyone is planning flights for a holiday abroad its probably worth printing off a copy to take with you (its only 3 or 4 pages) in case anyone gets a bit shirty if things go wrong at the airport.

In the reality of a confrontation waving 3 or 4 bits of paper is unlikely to get you anywhere....

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Re: Don't take any [Censored] if your flight is cancelled.

@Champnet 

Arrested? 😆

Thomas A. Edison
Champnet
Seasoned Champion

And, possibly, charged with a public order Offence ?

madswitcher
Aspiring Pro

In reality my experience has been the opposite, not in waving a piece of paper, but in quoting the appropriate law or regulation. 

BA cancelled my flight to the USA earlier this year and wanted to give me a voucher - they were quite insistent about it - they were wrong.  I quoted the appropriate CAA policy at them and stated, just as adamantly, that my rights were to a full refund of my ticket.  At that point they backed down and gave me the full amount back - in my credit card account in 3 days.

Mike

madswitcher
Aspiring Pro

" And, possibly, charged with a public order Offence ?"

I assume that you are either trying to be humorous or baiting

Mike

Champnet
Seasoned Champion

Depends whether your sat at home having a pleasant conversation on the phone or having a confrontational argument at the check-in desk....

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@madswitcher 

Around here? Just humour usually.

Thomas A. Edison
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Ryanair will no doubt claim they are exempt as they usually do.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@madswitcher wrote:

" And, possibly, charged with a public order Offence ?"

I assume that you are either trying to be humorous or baiting

Mike

Don't take anything round here too seriously Mike. This forum is full of good people making little jokes here n there. It's also full of puns. Nobody was having a dig at you, it was just the way this forum works - i've been here 14 years and know this lot very well so you can take my word on that. The reply was one based on how this nutty country works these days.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!