cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't suppose I'm the only one to notice

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Don't suppose I'm the only one to notice

Over several months I've been having minor performance problems with my PC's (both laptop and desktop) and was a bit unsure why. for several weeks now I've been getting a pop-up to update avg  av to v2011. But, it required that I uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials to do it, which I put off doing until today. And lo and behold all of my performance problems went with it.
The long term rememberers among you might recall I was having a problem with PN logon requiring a three step to logon instead of one, well this problem never resolved itself, I just learned to live with it. Uninstalling MSE has completely cured that as well.
Will I be reinstating Security Esssentials? er! no.
Not unless someone here can convince me to do so.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Don't suppose I'm the only one to notice

I have been a long time  supporter of AVG FREE... and recently upgraded to the new 2011 version...Did not "uninstall" the older version(s)... just downloaded and on it went... then something happened... can`t remember what... but I uninstalled AVG 2011, to see if it was that, that was causing the problem... it wasn`t so went to download and install it again... BUT... it just would not install, tried several times.... am now running AVAST.. and it seems to be working just as well...
I have not installed MSE, unless it came with Vista...on my CDrom.....
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
update avg  av to v2011. But, it required that I uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials to do it,

Why on earth would you run 2 antivirus products at the same time, that's a recipe for conflicts and not recommended anywhere....  Crazy
Community Veteran

Uhmm! quite right HP. wrists soundly slapped.
@shutter, I don't think its on the Vista CD. I downloaded mine from scratch.
Had something similar happen with an earlier version of AVG after an attempted update. Set search to AVG after uninstall and systematically deleted every item found (there were quite a few) then tried again and it was fine.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I can't tolerate AVG anymore. Last time I used AVG it was very slow, had a crap UI and seemed to be a bit behind the times.
I switched to Avast and haven't looked back. Far more advanced, far superior UI, far beter protection.. Oh and it found a whole range of nasties on my system that AVG was declaring to be clean. Needless to say Avast terminated them all but it left me with serious doubts about AVGs capabilities. I'd certainly never buy the pro version of AVG having seen just how useless it was against Avast.
Quote from: HPsauce
Quote from: Petlew
update avg  av to v2011. But, it required that I uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials to do it,

Why on earth would you run 2 antivirus products at the same time, that's a recipe for conflicts and not recommended anywhere....  Crazy

Thats an old wives tale thrown around by support techs to get rid of problematic customers whos problems could not be solved. Most folks have fallen for it hook, line and sinker and still believe it to this day. I've had 4 AV's installed at one point and not once have I ever had any conflicts between them. Generally it was a first past the post scenario - the first AV to pick up something dealt with it before the others (and it was rather interesting to see just which ones DID and which ones DIDN'T find the badies. I'll never recommend McAfee again yet there was one called CommandOnDemand (since changed names several times and I've lost track) which picked up absolutely everything including those silly joke programs you get off your mates which make the mouse pointer wobble etc. If you could find it, it knew it. Unfortunately that was shareware and ran out a few weeks later but I found its detection performance was unmatched by anything else available at the time. Unfortunately I couldn't afford to buy it Sad
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Over many years I suppose I've used most of the well known AV programmes at one time or another. And it seems to me that they follow trends in popularity. A user will extol the virtues of one AV and many will start to use it, very shortly, it will be dumped as useless in favour of whichever has just updated its graphics interface. With the exception of the heavily bloated McAfee and Norton, I suspect they are all very similar varying only in their user interfaces.
However, I've never known one slow things down to the extent that Microsoft Security Essentials does though (even when used on its own) although the McAfee and Norton came pretty close.

N/A

Can't agree about MSE. Have been using it on my spare laptop with Windows firewall (Vista) and it is absolutely fine - the machine is very quick indeed even though it is not high spec.
Only two problems that concern me - it does not scan email and has no url checker.
Have now put Kaspersky on it but not because of any complaints about MSE.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I dumped AVG when it slowed down my machine too much. Put on MSE and it ran a lot quicker.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)