cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't make me laugh or cry, OFCOM regulate the BBC, it's worse than a joke.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Don't make me laugh or cry, OFCOM regulate the BBC, it's worse than a joke.

I hear some suggestion going round, that the BBC should be regulated by OFCOM and not the BBC Trust. Just who do these meddling twits think they are Angry
Apart from the fact that OFCOM are the worst regulator that have ever existed, never acted promptly in the interests of the consumer and are clearly a quango that does nothing but waste tax payers' money and bends to every wish of the politicians, the last thing that the nation needs is them interfering with the BBC. OFCOM should be disbanded and a proper telecomms regulator replace them.
I don't doubt that the BBC should be regulated by the BBC Trust, but whether heads should roll or some restructuring is needed, should await the outcome of the investigations.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Don't make me laugh or cry, OFCOM regulate the BBC, it's worse than a joke.

I don't think the suggestion is that Ofcom should regulate the BBC.  I agree with you about their effectiveness.  There is, however, a rumour that Ofcom's boss could take over at the BBC. He is currently evens with the bookies.  As I said elsewhere I don't think this will be a good move.
itsme
Grafter

OFTEL was the telecommunications regulator but as it remit expanded the name was changed to OFCOM and OFCOM are responsible for broadcasting.
Community Veteran

You are right there itsme, but OFTEL were no better. The two aspects need splitting up again. Whether Broadcasting should revert to the Home Office or Culture, Media and whatever or a separate body, is obviously debatable.
Community Veteran

@artmo
The suggestion has been made that at the end of the current charter, they should be answerable to OFCOM  Shocked
Community Veteran

I think a completely new structure will be in place by then. Tickering with the present one won't work.