Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don`t look down.... or .....

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Don`t look down.... or .....

Seemed like a good idea,.... at the time.... 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14902428/glass-bottomed-bridge-china-shatters-wind/

I`m scared of standing on a chair in the kitchen to reach stuff..... so you would never get me going on stuff like this ! !

26 REPLIES 26
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Don`t look down.... or .....

Don't mind heights m'self, but walking over that bridge would have my testimonials tingling that's for sure! 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

Quote:

"DON'T LOOK DOWN Terrifying pic shows man clinging on for dear life after 330mph glass-bottomed bridge shatters in 90mph wind in China"

What's a 330mph bridge?  Huh Roll_eyes

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

In context @RobPN, I think it means that a bridge meant to withstand 330mph shattered in a 90mph one?  🙂

shutter
Community Veteran

@Minivanman  Yeah... it`s "panefully" obvious, that bridging the gap with glass, would shatter anyone`s belief that it was possible to do so ...

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

That's the thing with glass. It doesn't like bending or twisting much.

That's very clear.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

What’s the betting he will never walk across a bridge like that again.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

No doubt it put the wind up him.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Mav
Fixes: 433

Just pleased he didn't come tumbler down😲

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I remember reading about that bridge a few years ago and thinking anyone making that was an idiot. Theory about glass strengh is only theory, there is no guarantee that it will withstand anything.

Worryingly there is also a glass path like this going round a hillside / mountain somewhere too. Perhaps even worse is the swinmming pool on top of a city high rise block.. the side is (yup, you got it) glass.

I frequently get scorned at for pointing out obvious risks, many of my ex colleagues once laughed at me saying "he knows what he's doing, he's a professional and it's all controlled" when i said Steve Irwin would one day go too far and get himself killed. 2 years later the guy was dead.

These days there is a very worrying trend of being seen as clever if you can "manage" the most dangerous of risks down to no risk at all. So many of these people somehow make it into management however the odd few seem to go into engineering or construction and then choose to deliberately put lives at risk in order to show off. This madness needs to stop.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
shutter
Community Veteran

@7up  It`s also interesting to note.... that... the designers, are never the people who actually use the thing.... makes you wonder why...... you never see them in "Promotional" advertising using the thing, after it has been built...

Probably too busy enjoying the "fruits of their labour"   in some secluded south sea island hideaway.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@7up wrote:

These days there is a very worrying trend of being seen as clever if you can "manage" the most dangerous of risks down to no risk at all. So many of these people somehow make it into management however the odd few seem to go into engineering or construction and then choose to deliberately put lives at risk in order to show off. This madness needs to stop.

Forgot to add in Boris Johnson and MPs in general with the above. Boris thinking he can manage the covid situation which spreads faster than he can effing think.. and he's still allowing indoor drinking and dining - after deliberately importing people from India.

I swear people like him get a kick out of deliberately trying manage near-death situations. The man is off his head and should be removed by the queen - at least temporarily. All of those statistics from Professors Witless and Balance mean nothing when they're trailing behind an explosion of a new faster spreading wave. But as you point out @shutter it's not their own lives at risk from this is it, they're just managing the risk to others.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

You may say that about designers @shutter but I seem to remember reading that Brunel was almost drowned during the construction of the Rotherhithe tunnel under the Thames, and I'm sure he was one of the first people to go across that suspension bridge of his in Bristol while it was being built... and before that in a wicker basket of all things! 

Then of course (and more up your street) there was the naval architect who was in charge of designing the Titanic and who went down with it on it's maiden voyage.

And @7up 

Au contraire mon ami, Boris went down with Covid and was quite ill with it no?

Not allowed to go into politics here but for what it's worth and anticipating deletion, I think that for all his perceived dithering he's done his best. Dammed if he does, dammed if he don't in my view.  As for him being removed by the Queen, err, I don't think that's possible unless there is a vote of no confidence in the House and he refuses to go.  

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Cor I remember when I went to Sydney.

The harbour bridge is huge, not like when you see it on TV. There was that and me 'admiring' the local women there (cough). I don't mind heights (a bit) but not the sort of thing I would do. One of my favourite places ever.

Sorry better shut up there now, my main priority was getting a local SIM. It worked so rung my family, and forgot about the time difference so ended up waking people in the UK up at 3am.

Oh Well as Fleetwood Mac said. 😊

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Alex wrote:

... There was that and me 'admiring' the local women there (cough). I don't mind heights (a bit) but not the sort of thing I would do.

Blimey @Alex , how tall were they?