cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't have a heart attack @ Toy R Us

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Don't have a heart attack @ Toy R Us

A 75 yar old bloke had sudden heart pain while shopping in Toy R Us and as a consequence overstayed the time in the car park. He received a parking "charge" from G24 the parking management company. Fortunately Toys R Us saw the light (BBC Report) and instructed G24 to issue a refund.
Here's some advice in dealing with G24.
It seems like the whole process is akin to extortion. Anyone else had any problems with these type of firms?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Don't have a heart attack @ Toy R Us

Very interesting.... and a useful bookmark....
It could be worth writing back copying and pasting the points mentioned about "proof" of staying in the car park, etc..... on the court issues...
Might make them realise their bully boy tactics are not going to work....
Community Veteran

Good on Toys R Us for dealing with this in a positive manner.  These cowboy parking companies need to be exposed and stopped.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

They've already been exposed however they're almost gaining legitimacy with the government in the new bill of freedoms that I mentioned months ago in another thread where no-one seemed bothered by it. The bill is seeking to make it law that the registered keeper becomes responsible for any contractual parking PCN in a PPC car park. Dangerous territory if you ask me because then its a slippery slope into being able to enter anyone into a contract without their knowledge or consent. There have been a lot of objections to this draconian piece of legislation so no idea whats happening with it now.
Personally I would have just ignored the PPCs PCN.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 104

You do have to laugh though
"I'm just so pleased. It's a huge weight off my mind and hopefully I'll sleep tonight," Mr James said.

Stood next his 50k merc Roll eyes
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 47

Yes, I thought that.
£75....price of a tyre?
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Some excellent information here & thanks for posting the link, pity more people are not aware of this.
Unfortunately a lot of these cowboys get around this by clamping your car and refuse to remove the clamp until you pay.
I Would be quire happy to carry a pair of Bolt cutters around with me but I understand it's a criminal offense to remove a wheel clamp in this way.
Has anyone got any constructive advice for anyone who does get clamped ?
Fixes: 104

Clamping gets banned in October here, so try not to get clamped before then Smiley
Quote from: Strat
£75....price of a tyre?

Probably half a tyre on 17" low profiles
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Does it get banned everywhere or are there exceptions (other than the police)
Community Veteran

I Know the internet is full of blogs about people who have been clamped but this seems to be the top spot in Yorkshire for clamping, it's even appeared on the BBC !
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1628325
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yes, I thought that.
£75....price of a tyre?

And the rest..
Quote from: gleneagles
Does it get banned everywhere or are there exceptions (other than the police)

Police and councils will still be allowed to use them. You as a private individual can stil clamp a vehicle you own (for security - eg a trailer, caravan, your prized classic car etc) but the use of clamping as an enforcement measure is to be banned. That said, it's a trade off because the moment its banned, the PPCs gain the power to legitimately use their PCNs and hold the registered keeper liable (regardless of who the driver really was) and the appeal system is going to be setup by the BPA - the head of the scam. Can you honestly see you having a fair chance of appealing any PPC ticket? Any appeal should go through the same authority as the council PCNs IMO.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

£75....price of a tyre?

Huh! not wishing to change the direction of this thread but, where do you buy your tyres? I only run an 03 Toyota Avensis and my tyres are not far short of that theses days...before chain outlet discounts of course.
Think you'll be lucky to get a tyre for that Merc for an un-discounted £75.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

You could get a retread for that price...or cheaper Lips are sealed Lips are sealed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

While researching an answer to this thread and visited my normal supplier ( blackcircles.com ) and discovered they have a neat tool which help suggest tyre selection just from your Registration Mark. An easy way to price the tyres for your average Merc coupe.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

You could get a retread for that price...or cheaper

Retreads!! on a high-performance Merc Sad Sad
Don't think I would altogether trust them. however much cheaper they were.
The commercial industry (trucks and coaches) are big users of retreads and remoulds. When on main roads you see lumps of shed commercial tyres lying in the gutter or hard shoulder etc. they are more often than not retread or remould.
The mechanics where I work (coaches) have a re-grooving tool for worn tyres, it looks and is operated a bit like a small jig-saw machine..
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.