Re: Don't go here

Which suffered the least Jim Smiley Grin
I'm shutting down before my keyboard visits the inside of my monitor Crazy
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

The back of my head as that was the part which couldn't see the screen and couldn't hear the sounds - you have no idea how bad that sounds played through a 5.1 speaker system with sub-woofer.
Fortunately I never played that game because it would be too embarrassing to admit that it used to be fun. Grin Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Just think Jim all those people who you keep helping with speed problems, do that all night.  Must be deaf and brain dead - runs away to hide
Community Veteran

oh my giddyadd..a blast from the past indeed.. I was about to go to bed until I clicked the link!!
My bad.. it was funny, and just reinforced how bad I am at the game!!
Community Veteran

It reminds you of hours you used to spend typing in games from a magazine only to find they had made a mistake and it wouldnt work and you had to wait until next month to find out which line was wrong. Then you spent hours saving it to tape kids to day dont know they are born with these new fangled cd/dvds make them type the code in I say
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: samuria

you used to spend typing in games from a magazine only to find they had made a mistake and it wouldnt work and you had to wait until next month to find out which line was wrong.

Remember "syntax error" ?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
craigyoung
Grafter

I miss the sheer of pleasure of typing in the following -
10 Print "Hello!"
20 Goto line 10
Happy days.....
pierre_pierre
Grafter

do you mean to say you didnt program in Machine Code, I still have my tapes and and Oric Atmos, dont know about a decent tape player and lead though, also have some very old magazine bits with programs.
craigyoung
Grafter

No, I only got to grips with BASIC.  All programs were load from tape - 8 minutes of listening to a screeching noise before failing at the very end. 
And having your z and x buttons fall of fthe keyboard from playing 'Track and Field'.....
Fixes: 47

Machine Code and Assembler Code Crazy
LD A, 10  PUSH HL  Peek and Poke...ugh
Writing subroutines to move the screen contents down 1 line....well, someone had to do it Cry

...and if you want to do it on your PC there are loads of emulators around Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Mal08
Rising Star

Z80 code IIRC  Smiley
My first computer was a Nascom 2 - on which I learned Basic and Z80 assember, first with a cassette tape recorder and then a CP/M disc system
happy days
Community Veteran

Quote from: craigyoung

All programs were load from tape - 8 minutes of listening to a screeching noise before failing at the very end

Do you remember, that some radio station used to broadcast data to download, the noise used to drive my aging dad mad!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

When you think what you do today. in VB etc you have a window mouse support and other things before you even write a line of code. I used to develop in Clipper and to create a window was a massive job on its own before you did anything else. There were later on libraries for these things But I spent hours writing windows i just found some old code take a look
http://www.janwright.co.uk/jandisk.rar
Its an old software list from 1994 which loads like windows and has a menu made up of floppy disks and has all the old software I used to have back then. there is month sof work to get the load screen and the menu which by todays standard is rubbish but back then it was something else..
I does of coarse run under DOS but still works on XP