Happy Christmas to all my readers Smiley

begging squirrel.jpg

9 REPLIES 9
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

Re: Don`t forget to feed the birds !

@shutter 

There'll be a lot of birds that don't need feeding anymore.

I imagine most turkeys (and other poultry) destined for festive consumption will have already been butchered!  Cheesy

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Any squirrel ( grey ) that takes an interest in our birdfood is highly likely to develop an acute case of .22 lead poisoning ☹️  I have spent a fortune over the years trying to stop the little burgers destroying my feeder,  cages around feeders, upside hemispherical plastic bowls on pole,  metal seed holders etc. etc. ( the plastic food holders are about a fiver, the metal ones £15 to £20 - I prefer the plastic ones as I normally bin them every year to control infections etc.. but when squirrels around they are easily destroyed by those gnawing rodent teeth

The old 'slinky' childs toy works well,  you can still get them...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggu98g8Sqag

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@shutter 

Never forget my birdie buddies especially when the weather is cold. Also need to remember to put water out for them when bird baths freeze over. 

We have a bird feeder right in front of our kitchen window and what a quid pro quo bargain as birds not seen in the summer gather in the winter. 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Mayfly
Seasoned Pro

It's not squirrels I have a problem with it's pigeons. The bloomings things will eat all before you even get back in the house the little ones don't have a chance. I've bought a cage to go over the bird now and put seed out for the pigeons separately. 

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Same here, but with ravens, crows and magpies.

Any scraps from our table to theirs is gone once they descend, so just as well we have the bird feeder for the little 'uns.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@Mayfly wrote:

I've bought a cage to go over the bird now and put seed out for the pigeons separately. 

Why are you feeding greedy woodpigeons ? They can eat their own weight in food every day - they are just rats that can fly...... and breed like rats as well....  I feed our local Fox on squirrels ( tree rats )  and flying rats just leave them at bottom of garden and they disappear overnight - ooops mind your teeth on the lead bits...

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

As a result of law passed following crowdfunding by environmentalists (probably living in towns) you now have to have a licence to shoot flying vermin which will only be granted if you can prove that there is "no reasonable alternative" (to shooting them). I presume rabbbits are still fair game as are grey squirrels and foxes too.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Yeah well that reminds me, as my sister likes feeding the animals too.

Apart from the bird feeder, she likes feeding the foxes and leaves dog food in the garden.

We don't have dogs at home, 3 cats are enough of a pain trust me. Didn't know foxes like dog food, but they do. Quite funny really.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Leaving dog food out like that is asking for trouble. Hope you cats are good at catching rats! 😊