cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't fall victim to telephone scams...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Don't fall victim to telephone scams...

Most will already be aware of scams such as these but this is currently being circulated by the Police via Neighbourhood Watch:
Message sent by
Marion Lewis OBE (NHWN, Regional Representative, East Midlands)
Please heed this warning from our colleagues in Nottinghamshire.
Phone scammers posing as police officers and computer store employees are targeting vulnerable people.

The calls are generally being made to elderly people during the night and in the early hours of the morning 

The callers are using two different stories to gain bank details and in some cases to collect credit cards and bank cards. 

In some calls, posing as detectives from Metropolitan Police, they tell the victims that their bank cards have been used by criminals and ask them for card information – saying a courier will pick up their cards.

The bogus caller then asks the person to contact their bank and cancel their cards. But despite putting the phone down to make the call, the victim’s phone line has been directed back to the scammers, who then ask for their bank details.

Another scenario being used is to say that the victim’s grandchild has run up a debt at the Apple Store, which needs to be paid off.

Samantha Hancock, Manager of Nottinghamshire Police’s Pre-Crime Unit, said: “These scammers are targeting elderly people at unsociable hours when they are most vulnerable.

“Police officers are unlikely to ever seize your bank cards after a fraud and if they do, they would never send a courier to collect them. Officers with identification would come to the victim’s house.

“Please make your relatives aware of this scam. Do not share financial details, including codes for your bankcard, safe or Keysafe, with strangers and do not keep large amounts of money in your house.

“Also, when you hang up the phone, make sure you hear a dialling tone before making another call.”

If you have been targeted by this scam or have any information call us on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

If you have divulged your card details or handed your cards over to anyone please ensure that you contact your card issuer to cancel cards immediately, and contact police.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
14 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Don't fall victim to telephone scams...

“Also, when you hang up the phone, make sure you hear a dialling tone before making another call.”

I read a report of a similar scam whereby the scammers actually played a recording of a dial-tone which fooled the person into believing he was making a new call.
Unfortunately the old and vulnerable will probably never see or even understand these warnings Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Razer
Grafter

Quote from: w23
But despite putting the phone down to make the call, the victim’s phone line has been directed back to the scammers, who then ask for their bank details.

How exactly can they redirect someone else's telephone? I don't see how this is possible. Surely they mean that they just don't end the call and keep the line open.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Razer
Surely they mean that they just don't end the call and keep the line open.

Yes, that's what they mean.
Not young enough to know everything
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Pick up the phone and dial 1471 and see if you get the appropriate message(s).

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

On BBC Radio 4's You and Yours today it was said that telephone service providers will be making changes so that the caller can only keep the line open for a couple of seconds instead of a few minutes as at present.
Sky and Talk Talk will be the first to implement with BT (and Plusnet?) following some time later.
I wonder why the few minutes delay was there in the first place. A few seconds covers dropping the phone and picking it up again. How many people put the phone on the rest, go away for a couple of minutes and then come back to resume a conversation with someone who has called them.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24079493
Fixes: 125

In the days before cordless it was convenient to replace the handset then go to another room to resume the call without having to pick up walk back to the original phone then back again.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

alanf
Aspiring Pro

I hadn't thought of that. I wonder how many (non-cordless) people know that dodge and will get caught out when the change comes.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Prior to the introduction of STD (Subscriber Trunk Dialling) would the remote end know that you'd hung up anyway?

RichAllen
Grafter

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
Pick up the phone and dial 1471 and see if you get the appropriate message(s).

Doing 1471 doesn't work, most scams are called from untraceable withheld numbers.
Grr, barstewards! They should all be stood in a line and shot, inn the face IMO.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

A variation on the courier fraud scam was discussed on today's You And Yours. Instead of a courier calling to collect cards the customer was conned into helping "the police" by going in the taxi provided to the bank and withdrawing £3000 and handing it over!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01z2ntt
nanotm
Pro

when the phones went digital the phone line would drop within seconds (I often used to cut people off by fiddling with the wrong part of the phone...) this change back to having minutes of open line wasn't common across the entire network but was reintroduced because of law enforcement problems (common practice was to do a fake "hang-up call " then listen in to the activities in the room)
the people to blame for the current amount of fake hang-up calls are actually the same people who are now trying to investigate the scams......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I suppose there will always be exceptions among the gullible and the frail and really elderly, but I'm amazed that anybody these days is taken in by any caller that even mentions cards and pins unless you are the one doing the calling to make a transaction.
However I do wonder sometimes crosses my mind about the honesty of the people taking your card details over the phone during a "card holder not present" transaction that you instigated in the first place. Should they have sideline as a thief, you've just voluntarily given them all the information they need to clear your bank account. In fairness its not something I do very often.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nanotm
Pro

luckily though most of them are at least intelligent enough to understand that if they steal the card details then there going to be instantly ID'd by the plod when they investigate who had the card details .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Would the police be involved? I would have thought the banks and/or card issuers would be the first to take any interest, and then your biggest problem is going to be proving that transactions you didn't know about were not actually approved by yourself since all the correct key strokes were made.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.