Did you mean: 

Don't drink and cycle in Poland

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Don't drink and cycle in Poland

12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Don't drink and cycle in Poland

Perhaps we could exchange some of our police for hard working Polish ones (why stop at builders).
Then maybe cyclists here will stop weaving between people on pedestrian crossings and going through red lights.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

A mate of mine failed his medical examination for his road cycling licence. The examiner discovered my friend was able to recognise red lights.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Until bicycles are registered and riders are licensed (and insured?) it will always be a bit difficult enforcing traffic laws (at least in the UK where police seem to lack the right to actually enforce the law).
Cyclists ARE subject to the same road traffic laws as motorists but you wouldn't think so.  A 'bugbear' of mine is cyclists using roads where cycle paths are provided - I'm sure the highway code used to say that where cycle paths are provided alongside a road then cyclists must use them (but I could be wrong).  I'd soon get in trouble if I drove along the cycle path in my car.
I'm not anti-cyclist, I used to cycle regularly (and I stopped at red lights and used cycle lanes etc.) but I object to law breaking cyclists endangering themselves and others.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Fixes: 125

Quote from: w23
but I object to law breaking cyclists endangering themselves and others.

I agree wholeheartedly with you.
Why do so many cycle two-abreast especially down the narrower roads where I live? It makes it harder to overtake and more dangerous for them. When SWMBO, my daughter and myself go out we cycle in convoy.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: w23
at least in the UK where police seem to lack the right to actually enforce the law. A 'bugbear' of mine is cyclists using roads where cycle paths are provided

The police seem to lack the will more than anything else. And yes it is especially annoying where a road is narrowed to provide an off road cycle lane so that selfish cyclists can no longer be easily passed if they use the road.
Quote from: Mav
Why do so many cycle two-abreast especially down the narrower road

Only yesterday I had to blow my horn at two police officers riding two abreast on a narrow road. And good on the old woman who I saw last week stand in front and stop a policeman riding his fancy police bike on a no cycling path. I almost felt sorry for him as she gave him a good five minutes ear bashing while we all watched him sheepishly stand there until she let him walk away. 
mattturner
Grafter

Those ruddy cyclists! This is how they should cycle!
http://www.youtube.com/embed/J5N90zkDqfw
GrahamC
Grafter

Ruddy cyclists ....
He hit me, and you just ran me over...... she didn't even realise
http://www.youtube.com/embed/J5N90zkDqfw
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

What amuses me most about cyclists, is when they have to stop, they, somehow, seem to think it is against the law, to actually STOP and PUT A FOOT ON THE GROUND !... Amazing the antics they get up to... really funny sometimes...  Cheesy
David_W
Rising Star

Not stopping (at least for a motorcyclist) is a safety issue, if you need to get out of the way quickly then if you're not stationary with your foot down it's easier to pull away from potential danger, they teach you on the safety courses the police run (if you ever watch a police motorcyclist then you should never see them stop unless they are actually stopping to dismount or when there is no other choice, they will ride at really, really slow speeds instead of stopping at, say, a roundabout).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Erm... I think we are talking "Bicycles" on here... not Motor cycles...
whilst I understand your thinking... I don`t understand the thinking of the cyclists who do not put a foot on the ground... It is a much more "stable" position when at a stop  than trying to balance and not move forward or wobble into a nearby car... then claiming the car  Cheesy hit him........
David_W
Rising Star

I don't understand cyclists at all, much easier to get one with an engine stuck to it, you go faster so get there quicker and don't have to wear lycra!  Grin
GrahamC
Grafter

Dang, I'll try that again....
Quote from: GrahamC
Ruddy cyclists ....
He hit me, and you just ran me over...... she didn't even realise

And the motorists revenge